Thursday, August 14, 2008

cranky genius doctor

A bedroom's gotta have a closet and a door.  I don't make the rules. 

You walk me into just about any house in your neighborhood and I'll find the bedrooms.  That would also be kind of creepy if you don't know them.

I get bedrooms.  I understand that if a room has a table it's probably the dinning room.  If there's a sink and a fridge, it's the kitchen...but where did the name kitchen come from?
Dinning room makes sense.  Bedroom makes sense.  Kitchen?
I lived in the same house for over 12 years in Worthington (home of the cardinals) and I still couldn't tell you which room was the living room and which was the family room.

I've been told that the living room at our current house is the room that nobody really lives in.  It's a decoration.  It's a waste.  It's not green.  By the way - if you have an extra room that you don't use and you're getting on someone about not recycling...well that's just silly.  If you have more than 1,000 square feet for each person in your house - and you're telling people what to do with their cans...well that's just sort of hypocritical. 

Not really my point though.

I'd like to simplify.

Bedroom, Bathroom, Fridgeroom, TVroom, don't ever go in room, and underground room.

I think you'll all agree that this just seems to make sense, and wouldn't you all sleep better knowing that?

7 comments:

  1. unfortunately in florida, we don't have underground rooms. we also don't have freezing rain so it's kind of a trade off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about a one-half "bath-room" that only has a sink and toilet?

    The "sink-let" room?

    I think I'll re-name the "downstairs" to the "Sean-rules-at-ping-pong-when-Brian-isn't-it-town" room

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what do you do with a Foyer? A mud room? Breakfast nook? Dormer? Attic? Den?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean rules at ping pong? Ummm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do your homework, Murph.

    Middle English kichene, from Old English cycene, from Late Latin coquina, from Latin coquere: "to cook."

    ReplyDelete
  6. leave it to micah.


    brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's another one: the DEN -- which is what I always considered to be the retreating place or private sanctuary for the master of the house; however, one of my cousins in Kentucky calls his FAMILY room the DEN (despite having another room he COULD use as a den) - hmmm, I thought DEN should be secluded and hidden from the family - guess not... guess it's ok to watch tv with EVERYONE in the DEN - or as my cousin calls it, the DAYEN.

    ReplyDelete