Friday, July 07, 2006

waste

I'm looking at a room full of books that are just sitting here. They're not being read, so is that a waste? They could be in someone's home that would love and care for them. Annie and I will most likely not re-read them. Eventually we'll throw them in boxes and put a sign on them that says, "hardbacks 50 cents and paperbacks a quarter"

I have four computers. Two don't really work, but I'll bet somebody could get them going. One's a laptop and one sits in my basement next to all the boxes of books. I have two lawnmowers - an electric cordless and a 6.75 hp gas powered one.

We have tools that are seldom put to use (although Buddha and I used a pipe wrench to fix the garage door last night - figure that one out).

We have dishes that are only brought out when we have more than 4 guests. We have a table that fully expanded with all the leaves inserted comfortably seats 10.

I'd like to have the books around in case I ever want to reference or re-read them. I'd like to have the tools, dishes and leaves around in case we need them. I like having extra stuff...even though I don't really need it.

I just haven't gotten around to giving away our two foosball tables, extra lawnmower, or dorm fridge.

Clearly some of this is excess. It's obvious that we're wasting space and possessions.

What's a guy to do?

I have time that I don't maximize. I have a bedroom that's spare. I have gifts/possessions/talents that have been given to me that I'm not always a good steward of...

So should I just start giving stuff away? My time, my energy, my books, my couches (we have 5) How much is enough? Should I have two hours a day to just sit around and play with my kids....or one hour? We have food that goes bad in our pantry and fridge just about every month. So, should I not have two couches in the room that nobody ever goes into? Should we sell all our books and donate the money to charity?

I hear people that are rich in time complain that those who are rich in money should pay more in taxes, share the wealth. Should the rich complain that people who work 40 hours a week giving more of what they do have...time? Should both groups complain that I have 5 alarm clocks in my house?

I always say that I want to spend my life doing stuff where I get the most bang out of my buck. I want to do stuff that will see the greatest possible change. So maybe it's time I start wasting less and spending more.

Maybe a good start is for me to take care of my stuff. I can start with the basement. Just start going through boxes and send off the stuff that I obviously haven't needed for the past 8 months and give them to someone who would appreciate them.

So what do I do with my wasted potential?

13 comments:

  1. 3 kids, 4 computers, 5 couches, & 2 lawnmowers...

    I gotta go get some more stuff, clearly I'm not keeping up with the Murphy's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take a foosball table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:12 PM

    steve come get it now and get it out of our garage! we can bring it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want a foosball table too. i am REALLY good at foosball. well, at least i used to be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:34 PM

    I work 60+ hours a week and I'm poor. So I guess I don't have to give up anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 108 more hours in a week....56 to sleep...14 to eat.....7 to clean up....that's 31 hours to watch tv, play video games or help someone out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carissa,

    I will arm wrestle you for the foosball table.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet that huge painting of a horse would brighten someone's day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. steve,

    i will SO beat you in that contest! look out! new (to me) foosball table...here i come!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Or better yet, what if we play a game of foosball on said foosball table for the rights to the foosball table. Foosball.

    ReplyDelete
  11. now that is a great idea. but i live really far away. so, you are just gonna have to trust me that i would win. and we'll just call the foosball table mine. sound good?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yeah, that sounds perfect.

    Wait...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Didn't I give you that dorm refrigerator as a present? How many other presents are you selling that I gave you?
    Are you saying I give lousy presents?

    You are giving me a complex...but you don't see ME selling it, do you??

    ReplyDelete