Tuesday, July 25, 2006

pressure


There's a lot of pressure on this day. My friend Paul starts working with me in about an hour. He's worked for over a decade for Hamilton County, but today you'll find him at Vineyard Community Church.

I asked him to apply for the job for a couple of reasons. He's way over-qualified for the job...and I think those are the best kinds of people to hire. I've never understood the concept of not hiring someone because they're too experienced? smart? good?

It's one thing to beg your friend to apply for a job. It's the whole next level when he fills out an application, writes a resume, turns his stuff in alongside dozens and dozens of other people, gets interviewed a couple of times, gets offered the job, then leaves the job where he was Hamilton County Employee of the Year and had some serious seniority...and comes to work with us.

So if this doesn't work out, I'm pretty sure that Carrie Smiley is going to try and kick my teeth in. I say "try" because....who are we kidding? I would own her.

This has to work out. Not only for the sake of the Smileys....but also to convince a certain young bearded chap to come on board and help us in some capacity.

So, as you see the new signs, posters, brochures, luggage tags and door mats at the Vineyard - you'll know they are there because of our new communications director - Paul.

9 comments:

  1. that is so fun! tell paul congrats for me. seriously, if dave worked there too...ya'll would never get anything done!!! but how great. and EVERYONE would want to work at the vineyard cause they would want to be where all the COOL people are! : )

    really though...thrilled you and paul are back together again. batman & robin, willie & waylon, jan & dean...murph & paul. that is fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:17 AM

    Hiring someone who is "way over-qualified for the job" can be bad for the individual being hired.

    If they are way over-qualified...where can they go from there? How do they merit pay increases if they are already beginning at the top of their position. As someone who has hired hundreds of people over the years, I have always looked at applicants who are over-qualified for the position I am hiring for and tried to figure if there was another position within the company that would better suit them. Otherwise if you hire them, then depending on your corporate structure it can be very difficult for them to get ahead or receive any kind of regular pay increases.

    I do not know how it is in a church environment, but in the corporate world you have very specific pay ranges for positions and if you hire someone who is over-qualified they are usually beginning at the top of the pay scale which means come review time there is not much room to bump them up. Is that really fair to them?

    I have also personally experienced times where someone who was over-qualified was hired and they soon became bored with their job and left the company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd want someone overqualified so they can crank out their work and start working toward new solutions to old problems. I want someone who gets bored and looks for next steps.
    I figure if they're overqualified and still get their job done...and are taking next steps in helping bigger projects, then we'll find them a new job.
    If they're working on new possibilities, they'll probably end up creating a new position for themself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking as one who has been kicked in the head by Carrie Smiley I think you may underestimate her strength, flexibility and unpredictable clumsiness.
    For instance you would be expecting a kick in the teeth and would implement the proper block for such a kick and in fact you would be kicked in the adams apple with such accidental ferocity that you would be incapacitated for the rest of the day and making Carrie the winner by TKO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'High Five Myself'...



    nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how'd you find that? You been youtube-ing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sean,

    Is that a picture you scanned from your high school yearbook?

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's a scanned pic of me holding Griff -
    I was asked to get rid of my old staff pic...so I put in that one.

    ReplyDelete