Friday, July 21, 2006

big day


Big day in the Murphy household. Today we receive a 3/4 horsepower, belt drive garage door opener with remote keypad, laser light indicator to let you know when you've pulled in far enough (our old system was watching to see when the lawn mower started moving) and a motion detector light.

Griff is constantly going out the garage door to play with the neighbors or on his scooter. In the old days (Tuesday) he'd hit the button, crank up that weak 1/2 horsepower chain drive garage door opener - waking Coop, Parker, Rich Franklin and disturbing passing traffic on 75.

That extra quarter of a horse is going to make all the difference. Who'd want a half a horse opening their garage door...that'd just freak people out.

Today is a new day. The old will be gone and the new will come. Sure I'd feel a little more manly if I was actually installing the opener. The problem is that I grew up in a family that fixed everything with a phone. This has cost me tens of thousands of dollars over the years in auto repair, home repair, bike repair and one file cabinet on wheels.

I bought the files on wheels doo hickey for $20. As I was putting it together - one of the wheels broke. I was faced with either shoving everything back in the box and driving it back to the store...but I figured I'd just fix it myself. So I glued it. That didn't work. Then I melted a plastic spoon to create a plastic weld. Apparently that doesn't really work either. I put some duct tape on it....some medical tape....all for naught.

I ended up spending abour $43 on this $20 file on wheels thing.

Today I will spend a bunch more than that so my 5 year old can get his scooter out and play with Kendrick....it's a big day in the Murphy household.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:30 PM

    The first paragraph of this post reminded me of Tim the tool man Taylor.

    Wouldn't you just do anything for your kids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:31 PM

    Heres an idea. A manual garage door! I tried to explain the manual concept to my child. I told her that the more gadgets you have the fatter you'll get and the more money you'll have to make to be able to pay to fix the things when they break. She wants a car with doors that close themselves. Everyone has one, she says. She's right! I mean, how hard is it to close your own @#$% car door?! People are so spoiled! I think I'll go live with the Amish...

    ReplyDelete
  3. no bloggin on Amish land...
    the problem with the manual is it's too heavy for our kids to lift. I had a manual when I was a kid and look at me...
    ...probably a bad example

    ReplyDelete
  4. The image of half a horse opening your garage door was the funniest mental picture I had today.. thanks Murph.

    ReplyDelete