Thursday, July 06, 2006

the big question


If you could ask God any question, what would it be?

I'm guessing we'd all have some similar questions and then a few unique ones.

If we took all of these questions and figured out which one's are answerable and separated those by the questions that only God could figure out...we'd have a lot of questions. We'd have a whole big 'ol range of questions that we're dying to know.

So why aren't those questions answered in the Bible?

So now God makes a bigger Bible that answers all of our questions about how old the Earth is, how he did the walking on water deal, what's the deal with Fuller's dating life...and now we have 73 books in our Bibles.

If our knowledge of how things works was represented by a big circle...and there were all these question marks outside of our circle - and God expanded our circle...wouldn't we just come up with then new question marks that are outside of our new circle? If he made us a bigger Bible and answered more of our questions, that'd just lead us to more questions based on our new understanding.

Until we're as smart as God, we'll always have questions. People will come up with theories that answer our questions. People will argue about these theories. We'll create bumperstickers stating the different arguments. We'll make fun of the stupid people that don't agree with our theory. People will get condescending, and announce their superiority.

I'm guessing that no matter how big our circle of understanding gets...we'll always find things to doubt God with...and argue over.

Aren't we awesome...

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:19 PM

    Here's my question.
    God,
    Why don't you manifest Yourself in such a way as to convince all of Your existence? We could stop all the holy wars, persecution and arguments and get on with discussing other hot topics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, if he did that, we would die instantly...

    but still "they would not believe even if one rose from the dead"

    and we are awesome at being human!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:19 PM

    Miracles happen every day. Most adult people are too cynical to believe they are real and explain them away. That's our problem, not God's.

    Miracles happen in my life a lot. I Thank God a lot. Other people in my life look at me like I'm not humbling myself enough. Like I think I'm special or something. They're special to God too and are receiving miracles too, they're just afraid to admit it.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Connie - I just wonder if God would say, "remember my boy Jesus"

    I still like the manifest thing though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:47 PM

    It is the glory of God to conceal a matter;
    to search out a matter is the glory of kings.
    Proverbs 25:2

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:25 PM

    I agree with virgil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll agree with Martin Mull...




    X gets the square.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:54 PM

    No, definitely Jim J. Bullock. Has Bob Saget ever been on Hollywood Squares?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:05 PM

    "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part, then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

    I Corinthians 13:12

    Mystery is beautiful...

    My question - What's it like to have a joy that doesn't end?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mike Brown, what a lovely question! maybe I will spend all night thinking about that...

    ReplyDelete
  11. my question is very carnal, but here it goes: will the dolphins ever win the super bowl again, and if so when?

    ReplyDelete