Tuesday, July 18, 2006

heat wave


I was shocked to see my neighbor's window open yesterday. (not in a UC professor with binoculars and a sketch pad kind of way) I was actually a little sad. I was confused. We don't live in the worst neighborhood in the world (Saratoga Farms of Beckett Ridge in the Dub C). Everybody has conditioned air. They have the technology, yet they refuse to use it. They were relying on the wind to cool their house???

In my mind, the best money I'll ever spend is the money I put into our electric bill this summer. I get out of my car and my glasses get fogged up from the humidity. Sometimes I'll wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt because Annie keeps our house at a cool 54 degrees, and my "office" is suitable for hanging beef and housing Ted Williams. I would argue when people say "why are you wearing long sleeves" that I'll spend 99% of my day in rooms that are around 70 degrees. That's an ok environment for long sleeves. In fact I pay a silly amount of money to be able to wear long sleeves in weather like this. If I get warm on my 7 step walk to my car, or my 17 step walk from my car to my "office" well that's just the price I'll have to pay.

But my neighbors opening their windows? Doesn't that mean their air conditioning is off?

Why would anybody do that?

It just hurts me to see it so close to home. I'd liken it to watching the guy who is incredibly funny telling knock knock jokes....the artist drawing caricatures in the mall....the college student passing up a free vacation....Bob Saget doing voice over work on a mediocre sit com.

We have the goods, let's use them. It's time to max out our resources. Turn on that A.C.

you could even make an argument that we have internal resources that some of us aren't maxing out. We've got encouragement just sitting in our heads...words of kindness that are left unsaid....acts of generosity that are left undone. Might as well use 'em while we're thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment