Monday, July 24, 2006

seeing stars


I was reading a magazine that was talking about creative ways to reach out to people (feed them, help them out, take care of them in some way...). They were trying to capture new ideas and came up with a trophy for best original idea...an actual trophy for best events, ideas, etc. The entry fee is $50.00 per entry. How awkward is it that you have to spend $50 to try and win an award for yourself?

It's a great deal - start an award show, market to people who want to put trophies on their shelves, and charge them more money to apply than the trophies cost. I can't really imagine taking pen to paper and writing in to this company asking them to take my fifty dollars and consider giving me a trophy for this great idea I had 4 months ago.

I love seeing celebrity's win an award and then talk about how the award isn't really a big deal....they don't really care about awards...knowing that they actually applied to be considered for the award.

I remember when I first heard that you actually have to apply for...and PAY for your walk of fame star. (the one that sits in front of Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood.

I've heard the speeches, "it's quite an honor to be thought of in the same breath as Wesley Snipes, Vanna White, Judge Judy, Lassie, Daffy Duck, Keanu Reeves" (they all have stars)

You have to pay $15,000 to get your star....

talk about paying your dues.

I wonder how much money I'd pay to get noticed? I own a Ford Windstar miniature van....an ok house in an ok neighborhood...I spend zero dollars on tanning....but then I spend a few minutes every morning typing one of these. So maybe I'm not spending a lot of money to get noticed, but a decent amount of time.

Maybe I ought to put my time into making some money so I can buy a star on a sidewalk in Hollywood?

No comments:

Post a Comment