Monday, July 31, 2006

Scam's Club

So you pay $30 to get a chance to shop here?
yup
Why don't they charge me $30 to shop anywhere else?
um....because here we sell you things in great big quantities at prices you just can't beat!
I can beat them
no you can't
yeah-huh
nu-uh

I can get 24 cans of pop for $6.59 here. I can get 24 cans of pop at the gas station across the street for $5

But can you buy a tree house over there?
No, can I buy gas here?
no, but can you buy 5 pounds of bacon there ?
no, but I can buy it at Krogers for the same price and I don't have to buy a second fridge to store the stuff I buy over there.

I keep wanting Sam's club to be great. I have a membership card through work (which is the only way I'd get one) It's the only place between work and home that will sell milk, paper towels or bananas. It drives me nuts to go out of my way to pick stuff up we need for dinner...and having a membership to a store just seems wrong.

I know that aspirin is cheaper there. It's so much cheaper that I can see myself having a conversation with someone saying, "you can buy tons of aspirin at Sam's for half the price" and there will be another convert. People just seem to assume that things are cheaper there because you pay to walk in the place and their stuff is in really big packages.

They're going to charge me not to bag my groceries? So I have to bring my own, or take 37 trips from my car to my kitchen?

All for $30 a year...

12 comments:

  1. Photo developing - cheaper and very good quality at Sam's.

    Although most people just print out their digital photos on their computer now - but if you are living in the dark ages like me, and can't let go of film quality photos - Sam's is a great place to develop your film.

    But I have to agree with you, Murph - which is why, even though I think the photo developing is great - we don't pay $30/year to have a membership at Sam's either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just went up to $40 a year.

    dog food is also cheap there. Nowhere else can you get a 700 lb. bag of dog food & a 150 lb bag of bones for $15.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no i get you murph. i refuse to pay a membership fee to go grocery shopping.

    besides, inside the radius of travel to get to sam's, i'll have passed up the opportunity to stop at three kroger's, a meijer, a walmart (satan spawn), three farmer's markets, and a dozen jiffy lubes.

    i've saved that $30 in gas alone, just by continuing my shopping habits as is.

    plus, i don't need 600 rolls of toilet paper since shop for one. people would think i never come out of the bathroom. fuller knows what i'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What, is that guy living off hot pockets?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I figure I gain the $30 back inside of 2 months, afterI hit up the "free sample" lady 4 times a week for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:52 PM

    Fresh fruits and vegetables are a great deal at Sams.
    You can save on electronics, books and DVDs.
    If you have a big family, are having a party or do have a pantry and an extra freezer you can save quite a bit of money.
    Its been a great deal for me, that's all I'm sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will, for now on, buy all of my dog food, electronics, books, dvd's, film, and 600 packs of toilet paper at Sams....
    outside of that, I'm going to Kroger's

    although I hear Costco has really cheap gas...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sam's Club sells kosher all-beef hot dogs.

    Sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:47 PM

    All I know about fruit at Sam's is we bought a 3 lb container of plums for $8.88 and ate one. Today I was going to give the boys plums for breakfast and the remaining plums were rotten. No more Sam's fruit for the Murphys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:08 PM

    I bought strawberries at Krogers and the ones in the middle were rotten and hidden. Krogers stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. they have a good bakery at Sam's.. and I bet if you look hard enough, you can find a pre-made wedding cake to feed 500, for all those shotgun weddings of course.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:52 AM

    Sean - I found your blog via Randy B.

    I always thought people who shop at bulk-grocerie stores were like people who drink their coffee black. There's something there that I don't quite understand but if I could figure it out and learn to appreciate it then I'd would enter into an elite society or something.

    ReplyDelete