Monday, July 16, 2007

step by steps


If you're wondering how many Murphy's know how to walk...well I'm not sure. I do know this. There are five in this house that have taken some steps.

Parker took her first step this weekend. Then she took a second...and a third. I'm thinking of teaching her to swim and catch a baseball this week.

It's funny how funny we can get about our kids walking. There's this not quite under the surface pride/defensiveness that comes out with when your kid starts walking/talking/getting accepted into colleges.
"My child was running around the house at 9 months!"
"Oh wow, that must have been nice. Our son was mowing the lawn at 8 months and he sure was a hand full"
"my goodness, to be able to relax for 8 months must have been nice. We were chasing little Suzy around the city as she competed in one 5k after another at 6 months. She set a few age group records. We're very proud."

They say that girls walk later and talk earlier than boys. I'm not really sure who they are...but I guess you could include me in the "they" since I just said it and it was true of our kids...at least the walking part.

I remember having about a dozen friends over who were chanting "roll Griffin roll!" when he was just a little fella and was trying to roll over for the first time. There's this athletic competition like zeal that comes with each baby accomplishment. We're in such a hurry to see the kid roll/crawl/walk/talk not thinking through how much trouble they can get into once they start crawling towards the staircase, walking away from mommy, or asking "how many minutes until we get there?" a thousand times on a six minute drive.

Impatience is a funny thing. We all want things to go quicker so that eventually we can complain about how quickly those kids grew up. When we're kids we can't wait until we can get our own job so we can buy whatever we want....not really thinking about how nice it is to have your parents pay for everything. We see things that we can't do when we're younger and are chomping at the bit to someday do those things. I can't wait for marriage for sex...because that'd be way better right now. I can't wait until I'm old enough to drink that stuff...smoke that stuff....go to those places....because then I'll be an adult and be able to do WHATEVER I WANT!!!

It's a strong pull.

Impatience might be my greatest vice.

Well that or bragging about my kids.

1 comment:

  1. Parker has the prettiest eyes. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete