Monday, May 12, 2008

confidence


I was just watching Robert Downey Jr. in an interview.

Man is he confident/cocky/arrogant/jerky.

You should know that I'd point to him playing the title character in Chaplin as the greatest performance I've ever seen. I can't really think of one of his performances where I didn't think he was good to great.

So I'm left wondering (once again) if confidence is what makes someone great....or at least do great things.

I've known some great leaders who were really attractive (relationally) because of their confidence. Don't get me wrong - arrogance is really pretty ugly - but if you're looking for a leader, you want someone confident in their decisions.

So there's this confidence/arrogance line that is slimmer than my free throw percentage.

On some level, the people who take some big chances are often the people that annoy people because of their pride.

I think it's pride that allows R.D. Jr. to take the chances he takes. His brilliance is in his taking chances - his going for it. I'm also guessing it really bugs the people around him. I don't know that - I'm just guessing.
I'm guessing Mother Teresa was confident in the rightness of what she was doing. I don't think you'd call her cocky...you wouldn't would you? Seriously? What gives you the right? That's just embarrassing.

C.S. Lewis said that pride is the great problem we all struggle with. It's at the root of all that brings us down.

But man, wouldn't it be great to be that arrogant/confident/cocky? Wouldn't it be great to have the guts to take the chances in life that amount to big blips on the radar?

It's a tough line.

3 comments:

  1. Just saw Ironman last night. My decade-long man crush on Robert tripled. I'm not kidding. And I'm not ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people are cocky because they have a very low self-concept and need to present a false image to compensate. Others, like me, are just amazing people and can't help but ooze confidence.

    Wait, I AM the second example, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:52 PM

    ...and he's Really Really Pretty to look at...

    I think kicking addiction makes a person feel pretty proud of themselves (even if it's the millionth time). It's probably one of the hardest things to do- to recommit yourself every day to Not listening to that craving.

    ReplyDelete