Friday, October 05, 2007

waiting game


I waited in a doctor’s office yesterday and filled out forms. I filled out the date, my name, address, phone number and the various diseases and afflictions that have tragically been visited upon me. And then I filled out Annie’s name, address and phone number – as she is my emergency contact. There was no option for (same as above). You had to write it all out twice.
That’s kind of annoying.
And then I filled out the second page of information where they asked me to write out the date, my name, address and phone number.
That’s really annoying.
I’d rather I just filled it all out once. Keep in mind that this wasn’t my first visit. I’ve been in the office before and you know they’re not even going to talk with you without having all of that info, along with your insurance info, so they can bill you.
If it’s already in the system, it wouldn’t be that difficult to just copy and paste. I do it all the time and I’m not that clever.

Maybe they’re trying to distract us from the long wait or the magazines from ’05. Part of the way they do this is by taking you from the waiting room to a second room…where you wait some more. It’s sort of like the smaller, less interesting sequel. It has some of the same features as the first room, but more gadgets to distract you from the fact that you’re just looking at basically the same thing you saw in the first one. And then you wait.

I always take my magazine in to the second room. It’s just too much to have me get through 80% of an article on who’s going to win Super Bowl XL and then not find out who they’re picking…

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:18 PM

    My personal favorite is how, after they've already soaked your insurance for every penny possible, they ask YOU for money to fill out forms that you need. My doctor has a scale of charges depending on how difficult the form is (starting at $20 and going all the way to $60!).

    Did you hear about the uninsured girl who was trapped in a car for six days? Her hospital room is $8000 per day. What could possibly cost $8000 per day? Her medical bills for a month will be around $1,000,000.

    I have no problem paying people for services they provide but when they decide arbitrarily to charge $300 or more per hour, it's a service that you need to have to survive and there is no competition between medical services to drive the cost down, something needs to change.

    ReplyDelete