Friday, October 12, 2007

I'm not responsible for offending you with this blog


I was about 40 feet behind the truck when I read it's sign. "Warning! Stay 200 feet behind this truck. NOT responsible for broken windshields"


200 feet? the letters of the sign were smaller than the license plate letters. 200 feet is two thirds of a football field. I couldn't possibly read this sign unless I was within 60-70 feet of the sign. In fact, the sign was in bold red letters that called you to pull closer so you could read it.


But apparently that's all you need. A sign fixes everything. I'm printing t-shirts that say, "Beware of me stealing your wallet. NOT responsible for me stealing your stuff"

or

"Stay 200 feet from me. NOT responsible for me boxing your ears!"


It's sort of a ticket out of any responsibility. Who knew it could be so easy?

1 comment:

  1. Ok you'll never read this but I'm catching up on missing about six months of your blog and reading the last weeks posts. This one is particularly interesting because the reason that sign is there is because if you are less than 200 yards behind that truck something may fall off the truck and hit your car before it hits the pavement and in that case the trucking company is liable for the damage. If the debris hits the road first (which it surely will do within 200 feet of the truck) and then hits your car it officially becomes a road hazard and you are responsible for the damages. Your insurance will have to pay for it and your rate will go up as a result. So if you are behind one of those trucks get right up on the bumper so that cinder block goes straight through your windshield killing everyone in the car, otherwise your insurance will have to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete