Sunday, October 02, 2005

does Johnny love you back?


The nice thing about renting movies (for me at least) is that even if I don't watch them the night I rent them (the kids are fussy, friends stop by, basement floods...) I can watch them at 5 in the morning when I wake up for no good reason. Today it was Fever Pitch...a remarkably mediocre movie.
There was a line in it that rang true for me though... There's this kid who is on a baseball team that Jimmy Fallon's character was helping out...and the kid, upon hearing Jimmy complain about his girlfriend's lack of empathy for his love of the Red Sox, asks him, "I know you love the Red Sox, but do they love you back?"
What a great question. Now this wasn't the first time I'd heard this question...but it was interesting that the person writing the movie had possibly figured this out.
Maybe life is about more than baseball....
Maybe it's about more than how much money we make...
or where we live...
Maybe there's something bigger than all of that...
So a great question to ask, "Are the things that I'm pouring my life into...my great passions...or more accurately, my great pursuits....are they loving me back?"
Makes me wanna think twice about those $300 jeans that make my legs look to die for...

No comments:

Post a Comment