Tuesday, August 11, 2009

John Hughes

A few days ago a friend of mine announced to a group of us that his favorite director had died.  When he said it was John Hughes I was thrown off a bit....John Hughes...is your favorite director?
 
I'd always thought of him as the guy that first started centering shots so that the sides wouldn't be lost when they were shown through someone's vcr.  I guess that's innovative...  He made a lot of great popcorn movies but favorite director?

That just sounded really off to me.  My friend is sort of a student of film and it just seemed odd that Hughie was #1.

I had to stop and think of all the directors I'd put ahead of him.

The Cohen Brothers, Tarrantino..(.although, if you take two movies away he might not be anywhere near this list), Kubrick, Hitchcock, Boyd, Woody Allen, Reiner, Kevin Smith, Opie, Fincher, Wise, Stiller...and I guess John Hughes.  He made the movies that I loved when I was a kid...so let's not hold Beethoven's 4th against him...lets remember Ferris.

Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment