Thursday, July 10, 2008

what all the cool prophets were wearing

I wonder if John (the guy telling everyone about Jesus and baptizing them) was considered cutting edge, or a freak? He dressed kind of out there. He ate locusts. I'm guessing he was made fun of by the old school religious folks that thought he was out of his mind. I'll bet that the cool young religious folks that weren't all wrapped up in the rules and the trendy religious music...they probably thought this guy was a religious freak. He was the kind of guy that was just out there. He was too into his message. Why would he say things and do things that strongly, doesn't he know that he'll turn people away? He's clearly not very seeker sensitive.

-
So maybe there were some folks who thought that he was counter culture...and that was cool? The way that works these days is a sort of cool distance while maintaining the "I'm above it all because I'm not that excited about this" stance. We react to everything. You grew up in a church with a bunch of rules, discover grace...and often throw self control or purity out the window. We live in extremes, but we're usually just reacting to a perceived extreme wrong...and not living towards an extreme God.
-
I guess that means we can talk about a revolution, but let's not cheese it up too much. I think we're all for not cheesing it up...I'm just wondering if He's that wrapped up in the cheese factor. I wonder how safe we play it?
-
I'm convinced that we'd make fun of John the baptizer if he came around our neighborhoods. I'm guessing we'd keep an eye on him if he walked into our churches. (although I'm guessing he'd be doing ministry where most of ministry happens - on the streets) He's too into his thing. He doesn't preach grace enough. He's too condemning. He's too radical. I like what he's all about...but man is he cheesy. I'm guessing we'd hear that a lot.
-
I'm just not sure what I'd say...

11 comments:

  1. John the Baptist prepared the way for Jesus in a very literal way. Do you think we're called to the same purpose?

    I wonder what it would look like to prepare the way for Jesus in people's lives. What would that look like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who wear shirts like that are cheesy. And yes, I am above them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd probably listen to his sermons online and buy his book when it came out... then ditch him for the next sexy new pastor at another hip church when I got bored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we're called to that if we believe we're pointing to a literal Jesus.

    Fuller - what if he was wearing these shoes? http://www.flickr.com/photos/pxilola/2178335199/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must...have...those...shoes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are these t-shirts cool? Depends who you ask. Are they cheesy? Most, including myself, would say so. Are they uncreative? Absolutely. Are they unwise to wear? In my opinion, yes.

    But if our focus is to cry out against these uncreative, unwise, and dare I say cheesy product markets, then I think we're missing the boat. In the same breath, I think we're missing the boat if we're chasing after self-control and purity rather than chasing after the only one who can give us either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If by cheesy you mean awesome, I totally agree dan. Those shirts are sweeping the nation my friend. Who doesn't love a delicious peanut butter and chocolate treat? The devil, that's who....

    and I'm with you on the problem of making self-control or purity your focus - I just think we're so anti-the church we grew up with or the legalistic culture, that we throw the purity out with the bathwater....

    no, wait...I think I'm mixing metaphors here....

    I guess what I'm saying is...we shouldn't throw out babies, that's all I'm saying. I think we'd all agree with that.
    Well maybe not you Bragg, but most of us...

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's true. i hate babies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sean MM...sometimes I like the comments more than the post...SOMETIMES, I said.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:08 AM

    This post reminds me of the time some ladies put a cheesy bumper sticker on Dan's van unawares and kids were making fun of him for it.

    Also, Murph, speaking of cheese...did you see the God's Pottery duo on Last Comic Standing? I know you watch that show...

    ReplyDelete