Tuesday, May 15, 2007

golf

I played in a charity golf outing yesterday.
I think it's official, I really just don't like golf.

I used to think I liked it for about 5-6 holes and then I got bored - but I came to the realization that that would be like saying that I like baseball for 2-3 innings - or the first period in wrestling or the first quarter in football or the...I guess you probably get the point.

It comes down to this. You walk around and hit a ball that's not moving. Sometimes you hit it well and sometimes you don't.

I was with some good friends. They fed us, had people driving around carts with drinks and candy bars...and I still didn't really love it.

I'd rather play racquetball. I'd actually rather watch golf than play it.

I'm still not sure if it's a sport. I'm also still sure that race car driving of any sort isn't.

that's just me though...

8 comments:

  1. golf on the nintendo wii is the only way to participate in this "sport"

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree and disagree...

    you are incorrect:
    golf = sport

    you are correct:
    traffic not sport

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also dislike activities that I am not good at. But golf, I like, because I can destroy you...much like ping pong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Golf is not a sport. A sport, IMHO, requires 3 things:
    1. A Time Frame
    2. A Definite Winner
    3. A Defense to Prevent Scoring

    Golf has a time frame: 18 holes
    Golf has a definite winner: lowest score
    Golf DOES NOT have a defense to prevent scoring.

    You put a person running around and defending the cup and you might be on to something...

    So yes, by definition, real golf is a competition and miniature golf is a sport.

    And all sports are competitions but not all competitions are sports.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't a good offense the best defense?

    just sayin...

    pretty sure golf is a sport.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The course itself is the defense. And did you just write IMAHOMO?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The course is a defense indeed. But it's a defense that can be predicted, planned, and avoided. You can't predict the way a linebacker will play a prevent defense.

    You can't predict the way a goalie will block high glove side, butterfly, kick, or stick side low.

    You can't predict how long that passing lane will stay open...

    But the tree, the sand hazard, the water hazard, the hill...well the only thing you have left is the wind and you can choose to play a high hanger to catch in the wind and get 5 or 10 extra yards or play it low and stay out of that 5 or 10 yard killer... See, predictable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i know you want me to comment on the nascar reference. i tried not to but i just don't have that much self control. all i'm saying is: i'd like to see YOU change your tires that fast!!!!

    ReplyDelete