Thursday, November 09, 2006

electricity


It's funny how much I take electricity for granted. Not like laugh out loud, wait until I tell everyone at work about how hilarious that was funny... I guess it's just more interesting than funny.

Our power went our a little before 7 this morning. No tv. No computer. Be careful opening the fridge. No phone. No digital clocks, microwaves or lamps.

Our kid's breakfasts are very toaster or microwave friendly. My morning usually starts with a quick post on the 'ol blog. I like to have light on in the bathroom when I shower.

I thought I was escaping into the electric world when I left for work. That quickly became an obstacle when I realized that my garage door opener wouldn't allow me to get out without power.

Today I learned that I love electricity. Absence really does make the heart grow fonder. That's why I love the show Ed now more than I probably obsessed over it when it was on. That's why it's so easy to focus on the things I loved about Pennsylvania and my last job - even though it was so hard to focus on those things when I was there.

I take things for granted. I just do. I probably need to stop and smell the sweet sweet smell of coffee (a much better smell than roses).

I'm going to appreciate my electricity filled office today. I'll enjoy the fact that I get to choose what I'm going to eat for lunch, projects I'll work on, and objectives I get to strive towards that I really do care about.

Oh sweet sweet electricity....how I so love you.

3 comments:

  1. Stop making electricity an idol.

    Sinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you love it so much, why don't you kiss it...

    no, wait! don't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah yes, just as al gore invented the internets, so did ben franklin invent the electricity.

    Thanks papa ben.

    ReplyDelete