Friday, November 03, 2006

Brian Regan


I'm forced to consider the question - should a great stand up comedian tour with a really bad one...and end up looking that much better in the process?

That's sort of what I saw last night. The night started with the single greatest comedic act since Gallagher discovered the sledge hammer. This man was to comedy was Hasselhoff is to half buttoned shirts. He was the thinking man's answer to Dan Rather. He was clever, witty and just when you thought he was all about the verbals...he'd do a little side step, shuffle and make turkey fingers appear on top of his head.

You read that last line right. People paid a bunch of money to see the first comedian of the night (name escapes me....because God loves me) take his hand and put it on top of his head and stick up four fingers to make it look like a goofy hat or turkey feathers. And then he'd make a little "peep" kind of noise.

He was flown in for this performance.

He performed in front of a crowd of thousands.

For 20 spirit crushing minutes he had the general attention of all these people...and was probably paid four figures.

Brian Regan came out and you would have thought you were watching the single greatest comedian of all time. It was like watching the newly re-formed Culture Club open up for U2 when B.B. King is making a special appearance singing "when loves comes to town" with Bono.

It was like eating a baked peanut butter and ketchup sandwich before they brought out the Beef Wellington.

It was like playing putt putt in some parking lot that has worn out green carpeting right before you play 18 at Winged Foot.

You get the point....I'm just thrown a little by how this guy ever saw the stage.

11 comments:

  1. four figures huh? hold on...

    ...(1...2...3... ... 4...)...

    ...


    WOW!!! FOUR FIGURES!?!??? THAT'S CRAZY TALK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and i bet fuller thinks he can destroy you in ping pong....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Murph,

    I was there, and I'm 100% with you, man. I actually felt some guilt because Stacy had purchased the Brian Regan tickets as an anniversary present to me...and as I sat in the darkened theater next to her with her arm wrapped around mine and her face watching mine for signs that I loved her present...I just couldn't muster a laugh at the first guy. (Joe something or other). I tried...I tried to smile for the first ten minutes or something, then gave up.

    Fortunately, I didn't pay to see Joe what-his-name, and it took all of four seconds of Brian Regan bouncing around on the stage before the stoic turned to laughter, and my face hurt from smiling so much by the halfway point.

    Hilarious.

    Peace,
    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  4. No way!? He did turkey hat hand?! I love it! That always kills me. Did he follow it up with "I got your nose"? Whew. I would have been wiping the tears from my cheeks I was laughing so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, who is Brian Regan? Any relation to former Secretary of the Treasury, Don "supply side economics" Regan? Because he was a bit of joke himself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is what I want to do...just hear me out.
    I'd like to do a video re-enactment of the Bumper story.

    You could narrate, we'll go back and forth between you somewhere in the shadows of the room to the live action shot of the two couches, corn fields, radio, guy sprinting at the windows...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:17 PM

    Bad comedy, like a very broken hairdrier, sucks.

    Murph, would you please tell Fuller to switch his blog to let non-bloggers comment. I was going to change the face of blogging forever with my commentary on his, but can't. What?!? Nevermind, I'll just tell him: Fuller, will you switch your blog to let non-bloggers comment, so I can change the face of blogging forever with my commentary on yours? Or I could just start a blog. . .but then couldn't any anonymous commenter?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:10 PM

    You got to see Brian Regan. I am jealous. Did he do the pop-tart routine?

    ReplyDelete
  9. i found myself wishing that fuller was up there doing his brian regan voice
    that would have been AWESOME comparitively ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. he did not do the pop-tart routine. He actually did over an hour of new to me stuff. I've heard all of his stuff on his c.d.'s and d.v.d. and a bunch on tv shows...and he still had a ton of new material

    but I do enjoy the pop tart jokes...

    ReplyDelete
  11. black 17...

    Sorry, I got tired of anonymous cowards. It doesn't take long to make an account. Make it happen, cause I'd love to see the face of blogging changed forever. :)

    ReplyDelete