Saturday, June 23, 2007

one day at a time




















I picked up the glass and hesitated for a few seconds. Should I call Annie....or Alton first?

It'd been awhile and I hadn't had one in so long it just felt wrong to pick up the glass. I told myself I was done...but it turns out I wasn't.

On March 28th I stopped drinking....Diet Coke. I didn't want to have any more carbonation (bad for your oxygen absorption) Aspartame (bad for your not dying or getting Alzheimer's) or caffeine (not great for your heart) or overpriced flavored water (no matter how delicious....because it's bad for your wallet)

I've saved probably $32 or so (money that can go to something better) and haven't died of brain cancer or had a heart attack. It's been close to three months without a diet coke and I sure do miss that sweet sweet mistress and her delicious carbonation.

So last night I gave in. The crazy thing is that I honestly considered calling someone and having them talk me down. There's this overpriced book that talks about "the greatest question of all time" and it all boils down to asking yourself, "what's the wise thing to do?" If you ask yourself that question before you do anything, and then act accordingly...you'll avoid a lot of pain and mistakes.

I didn't ask myself that question. I didn't call anybody to have them talk me down. I gave in.

So today I'm off to my DCFA (Diet Coke Freaks Anonymous) meeting and I guess I'll lose my 60 day button.

just one day at a time..

2 comments:

  1. I gave up diet caffeine pepsi a month or so ago, and I really craved it for a while. Lately it's been easier to drink soda, like when I'm out at the park w/ the kids I can just get a coke at a drive through or at the vending machine. So I gave in last week and I havent been able to go back to not drinking it, guess it's like Alton said today, it's a process...good luck and hoping I can get off of it again, tomorrow's a new day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped drinking soda about 9 years ago, and I don't miss it at all.

    But I did start smoking crack around that same time, so I think that has helped with the cravings.

    ReplyDelete