Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Smitty


It's really been interesting to start listening to Christian music. I never have done much of that. I have a friend, Dan Kalbach who LOVES Michael W. Smith (he even calls him Smitty or Mike Dub). He's a self proclaimed "Smittiac" He thinks of him as Christianity's Clay Aiken.
"It's almost like God wanted me to have a singer I loved both secular and Holy" - Dan Kalbach.
I'm just not so sure. I've traditionally listened to singers like Jack Johnson, but Dan says that Jack is just a pretty boy surfer who doesn't have as much talent in his entire body as Smitty does in his left elbow "the same one he pounds the keyboard with when he's jamming at the end of Friends are Friends forever!!!" Maybe Dan Kalbach is right...Maybe I should burn my U2 C.D.'s and go buy the new D.C. Talk disc. Dan was talking up the "Jesus lives Strong" bracelet in the promotional pack. I hear they're going back to their early bee bop jams.
I'm just not sure what to think when I hear Dan say, "This is the single greatest album since Amy Grant's Baby Baby."

3 comments:

  1. Finally, I feel like you know and understand me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:06 PM

    Maybe you should try listening to some Christian music that isn't CCM... think about folks like Caedmon's Call (first three albums are great), Andrew Peterson, Derek Webb, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Murph,

    Be careful.

    Christian music hit its prime in '93. Anything made after that is either:

    a) not nearly as catchy.. how could it be without the synthesizer?

    b) not as spiritually uplifting. For instance, check out the words from Carman's 1993 lyrical masterpiece 'Holy Ghost Hop'...

    "Everybody used to do the twist
    The mashed potato, and it moves like this
    The funky chicken, monkey too
    Wasn't nothing they would not do
    But there's a new dance no one can stop
    A leap for joy we call the Holy Ghost Hop"

    Seriously Murph, could Derek Webber come up with something so awe-inspiring? Let's be real...

    ReplyDelete