Wednesday, November 23, 2005

hookin' up

I actually used some tools last night. I hooked up our dryer. The new mansion that we just moved into (and by mansion, I mean small house with enough room to keep most of our stuff) had a different, and less safe according to the dryer manual, electrical hook up for the dryer. So I had to rewire it. It sounds sort of impressive unless you've ever changed the cord on one of these. It's basically three wires. Unfortunately the manual indicated which wire to hook to which screw (tee hee...I just said screw) by their color. The cord we bought had three gray wires. It's almost like they were mocking me. So I guessed. Turns out I was right. Somewhere in the process though, one of the screws (tee hee) fell into the dryer. Not into the part where you throw your clothes...but into the part that would require me taking the entire thing apart to get it back.
I'm not going to do that.
I'd rather deal with three years of, "why is that dryer making that sound!?!?!".
So to test it, I attached two wires and left the third resting on the connection. And then I turned it on. And it worked. It's impressive that just touching a wire to a connector doo-hicky would create so much power. I know it would be better if it was permanently attached...but even just touching the source of power was enough to get it cranking. I even went out and bought a new screw so I could permanently attach it.
It's got me thinking about the things I'm attached to. Most of those things don't seem to bring me much power. Maybe comfort for a few minutes, fun, a sliver of satisfaction...but often it just fills a few minutes of my day. If I throw enough of those minutes together...then I can go to sleep...and start over the next day. But to connect myself to a real source of POWER. That'd be something.
hmm...

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you think.
    Hook me up, while you're at it.

    ReplyDelete