Thursday, June 24, 2010

legal

I have been licensed by the state of Ohio to drive a motor vehicle.
My vision is exceptional
and...well...that's about all they checked.

I waited almost a year after moving back from Pennsylvania to get my Ohio license.  We've lived here for almost five years now...so you do the math.  It was time to renew my eligibility.  It couldn't have been easier.  In Pennsylvania they make you bring 13 separate forms, blood and stool samples, a letter from your Senator and three months wages.  In Ohio they ask you to read line five on the eye chart.

I like the Ohio way better, but then again...I have remarkable eyesight.

I was impressed by a few things at the Department of Motor Vehicles.
-They kept things up to date

-They use visuals to remind you of how evil orange barrels are...it almost makes you want to run one over doesn't it? 

-At no point did they inquire about my driving record, it seemed more about cash or check...

Side note - you have one week after your birthday to get this thing renewed or they charge an extra $20.
Second Side note - Annie was born on June 1st, so if you haven't sent her a gift yet...maybe $20 would make a nice belated gift...

1 comment:

  1. Sometime after I moved from Kentucky to Ohio I decided that I should renew. They flipping made me retake the test. I don't know if it was because I am from KY and they think we all live in caves and beat each other with clubs.... But yeah, the eye exam AND the written exam. They encouraged me to study, but I thought, I've been driving for 7 years, why bother? And then I failed the exam by 1 pt. Seriously?! Anyway, eventually I studied and passed and now I'm the remarkable driver that I am today.

    ReplyDelete