Friday, August 03, 2007

how are you doing?

a friend of mine told me a little snipet of info about Brad Wise's favorite actress (Paris Hilton) yesterday.

He said that there was a bet on Saturday Night Live among a bunch of the cast members.

the bet: How late in the week will it be before Paris asks one of the cast members any question about their life. "how are you?" "where are you from?" "how are things?" "how long have you been in comedy?" it didn't matter what the question was...it just had to be about the person she was talking to.

The reason for the bet was they assumed that she'd only really be concerned about herself and wouldn't just naturally ask someone anything about themself.

The end result was that nobody won the bet. I would have bet on day one because it's just such a natural question to ask, "how are you doing?" without even giving it any thought...or honestly even really caring. It's just another version of "hi".

She never did.

Words are a big deal. Among my most prized possesions were kind or encouraging words that people have spoken to me...and which I've held onto.

I remember things people said to me in grade school, but I don't remember every big Christmas gift I've ever been given. I remember being encouraged in the midst of some pretty crappy times in my life...and that stuff matters.

Stopping to say, "how are you doing?" and then maybe even listening or caring....that's probably not such a bad idea.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:28 AM

    Hmmm...I guess words of flattery will be wrapped up with a big bow this Christmas! Or, wait...nix the bow...you wouldn't remember it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post and a great reminder. very sad about paris. what a terrible way to live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind asking people how they're doing, I just hate when they actually answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:05 PM

    I've been reading Dale Bruner's commentary on Matthew, and today I came across these words concerning matthew 5:21-32:

    "Words, as we know from painful experience, have power to hurt. The schoolyard taunt, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me," is not true. There are many people in mental wards because hateful names or words are lodged in their psyche like bullets in a spine. Words that question our intelligence or, especially our character hurt deeply..."

    kind of relates. kind of doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:58 PM

    None of us can look at Paris and say "What a terrible person she must be." We're all in pretty bad shape. Asking how someone is doing doesn't make us any more righteous than she is. Thank God for Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might be wrong, but I don't think Sean was writing to exploit the possibility that "we" are more righteous than anyone. I read a lot more of a thought that displays a side of humanity that everyone shares-regardless of a relationship with Jesus.

    What I see is a reminder that everyone of us is selfish in some way; I am. Some of us are just more selfish than others, have a different upbringing, or are a part of a community that not only condones such behavior but encourages it.

    I feel sorry for Paris. I really do. And somewhere along the way she learned that it won't matter if she alienates every individual in her life-she's got enough money to attract new people who will support her life decisions.

    I don't have that kind of money to "buy" new friends when I need to, so I tend to disregard my selfishness and work to building relationships that don't have a monetary value placed upon them. But I'm still selfish.

    Thanks for reminding me of that Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when I used to call Christians bad people for calling other people bad people. And then I realized there was a pot and a kettle involved somewhere in that line of thinking. Everyone needs a little grace, even Christians.

    ReplyDelete