Monday, August 27, 2007

and it starts...


Real school starts today. It's hard for me to look at preschool or kindergarten as real school. I know you learn how to tie shoes and stand in line for fire drills...but the first grade just feels a little more solid to me

For the next 12 years Griffin will identify himself as being a part of a grade. This is the first grade. This is lunchtimes and recess. This is full days. He'll play dodge ball (if they still let them) and take field trips.

I always liked going back to school. As much as I was ready for the summer to come at the end of the year, I looked forward to going back and seeing friends I hadn't seen in months. I liked meeting the new kids. I liked the new pair of tough skins and my new lunchbox. I was into it.

One of my personality assessment tests labeled me as an "activator". That basically boils down to me being impatient. There's a little more to it...but I like to start new projects. I like interesting, creative things. I like challenges. This test has a little more validity to me as I look back to how excited I'd get about a new year in school. I'd be bored with the summer and was impatient having to wait for the new year.

I like new challenges. Having Griffin out of the house for 7+ hours every day will definitely be a challenge. It won't be as fun around the Murphy household, but his school will be that much better for having him around.

No comments:

Post a Comment