Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I'm not working today


Donald Trump on Regis: You should first of all find a job that you love. You can't be successful if you don't love what you do. (I watch Regis when I take the day off) I'm not 100% with the Don on this one, but I do think it's pretty darn difficult to be successful at something that you don't really love.

I've always found that jobs where people feel somewhat insecure or embarrassed about are interesting.

Chiropractors have to deal with the question of, "are you a real doctor?" I've read a lot of interesting things about chiropractors at their offices. Did you know they take more anatomy classes than someone going through medical school? I didn't either, until I read that at an insecure chiropractor's office. He had mountains of evidence to show everyone that he was a real doctor. I didn't really care because I was already there and obviously thought he could help. I've had chiropractors fix my shoulder, jaw and back bunches of times when my primary doctor couldn't do anything more than prescribe medicine or recommend surgery. I love chiropractors. Be secure doctors of chiropractic medicine!

waiting tables - One of the stand up comedians was busting on waiters the other day and I couldn't help but think, doesn't this guy know there are a few here serving food and drinks?

Youth Directors and many others in ministry. I don't think they're necessarily insecure about their jobs, they're just sick of people asking, "what do you do all day?" If your job was to build relationships, encourage, teach, love, guide and generally be a friend to a group of people - that'd be a great job. It just wouldn't look like work a lot of the time. Taking a couple of hours to plan a talk...and then giving it, looks like you just worked for a half hour. People don't factor in the planning time. "you just worked 30 minutes". No, I just spent half a day planning this talk, putting together video, slides and notes...and then went to Johnny's house because he's dealing with his parent's divorce and trying to make it on the soccer team....and then had Johnny's dad who happens to be cheating on his wife and ignoring his son call me to ask why we only have 38 kids coming to our meetings each week. Tonight when I get home there will be three kids in my yard putting 3,000 plastic forks into the ground and then I'm up at 6:45 to meet those same kids to buy them breakfast and talk about life. Bottom line - it's one of the hardest jobs you could ever not get much credit for...

telemarketers - They probably should be defensive about this one. Maybe just go by Customer Service Rep.

secretaries are now assistants. Fine. Either one is good. We don't have rename every job that somehow seems beneath people. Secretaries often work harder than their bosses. I used to have a boss that had a secretary and the word was, "Never, never call her that" She saw herself as our boss because she worked so closely to the main guy. She wasn't. She was his secretary. That's fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment