Wednesday, October 25, 2006

hindsight


I read Sports Illustrated because I'm incredibly smart. Oh sure you might read Dostoevski, Kant and Geisel....but me, I like to handle the heavy lifting.

I ran a little behind in my reading (who can keep up with the one magazine a week pace?) and, as I often do, I read the predictions for the upcoming football games after the fact.

There's a guy who picks who will win games. He's the expert at the most successful sports magazine of all time. He makes a living by studying film, stats, game conditions, and momentum. He's batting around 500.

Griffin is a five year old kid that lives with me and occasionally walks by the tv when I'm watching a game. Typically he'll ask, "can I watch a cartoon?" Griffin is right around 500 in predicting who will win the games.

This past week Sports Illustrated pointed out the players you should definitely start and definitely bench for you fantasy football team.

They said that you should definitely bench a certain wide receiver that ended up having 3 touchdowns and 40 fantasy points (7 or 8 is an average game).

They said you should definitely bench a quarterback who ended up having 4 touchdowns and 45 points (10-15 is pretty average).

I guess that's one of the problems with being an expert or a leader of something. You have to put your neck out there and give your opinions. As soon as you're wrong, some drop dead good looking blogger out in Ohio is going to point out your mistakes to the whole world (or at least 2/3rds of the English speaking world who probably read, copy and frame his blog)

So is it worth it to be a leader? Is it worth it to lead the way with your opinions? Wouldn't it be safer to just be a second in command type of fella?

With great risk comes great.....?

I think it's probably worth taking some shots at the end zone...what about you?

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I'm trying to place the names, Dostoevski, Kant and Geisel...ah, yes! The attorneys on Boston Legal, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will destroy you in ping pong.

    (By the way, this will be my response to every blog you write until we play, and I destroy you.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so I've gotta read this for the rest of my life?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:04 PM

    what i have learned on young life staff.

    with great risks comes... a helluva lot of complaining, criticisms, attacks, conflicts, and gossip. very little thanks, "good job's", "thanks for your faithfulness!", "we appreciate the time and money and energy you sacrifice"...very little of that stuff.

    maybe i should get a job at the vineyard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:54 PM

    Huh. Sounds like parenting! I plan on withholding food from my kids until they say somethig nice about me. That'll teach those jerks about gratitude! And give them something to cry about! It's a twofer!

    ReplyDelete