Friday, January 12, 2007

love that C.S. Lewis


"And the more we have it ourselves, the more we dislike it in others."
That's a line from my favorite chapter in the book Mere Christianity. I love it because it's so true.

I believe that God gives us convictions about areas of our life where we consistently struggle. Because of this snapshot into one particular area - we tend to lean in one direction or the other.

We'll either get callous to that struggle and end up not noticing it at all...
or
We'll become so aware of it that we'll start seeing it all around us.

In this chapter the author is talking about pride. The more we struggle with pride, the more it bugs us to be around other people who are proud. If we were living in humility, it wouldn't bother us nearly as much if people were seen as higher/smarter/better than us. That's one of the characteristics of humility. But because I struggle with pride - it drives me nuts when I see it in other people.

I'm guessing this is true with many struggles. You'll hear about the ex-alcoholic yelling at anyone who picks up a bottle of cough syrup. If you're around someone who's on a diet, they'll often make remarks about the stuff that you're eating.

And it just goes on and on and on...

that's probably something I ought to remember

No comments:

Post a Comment