Thursday, January 04, 2007

the bad news bears


I was at a conference with some pretty sharp folks recently and I noticed something...they weren't that sharp.

The folks I knew fairly well had some major league insecurities, faults, bad habits or some quirky social awkwardness. It was though a light came on and I couldn't help but think of the Bad News Bears (a truly awful movie). These folks that all had these little or big faults were pulling together as a group and doing some pretty terrific things.

It wasn't even about these people either...I realized that we're all the Bad News Bears. I used to hear people have debates about who had the most screwed up family and they would always end with, "Yeah, that's pretty bad, but..." We all have faults. We all have family, friends and c0-workers with faults...and sometimes we actually accomplish stuff that's pretty cool.

Because of our deal, I think we naturally root for the underdog. We want Rocky to beat up the other guy because he's supposed to lose. We root for Boise State because they're not really supposed to be that good. We love the underdog because we all feel, to some degree, like the underdog.

We're Rocky. We're Boise State. We're the Bad News Bears...and that's ok, because we can still get some pretty great results despite ourselves.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:02 AM

    I don't root for Boise state...their win took me out of first place in the bowl pool I am in because some idiot picked the underdog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lawyer not rooting for the underdog? Shocking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are... Penn State, with a pretty awesome upset over Tennessee. Admit it- you miss that view of Beaver Stadium.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:56 PM

    I do love the We are...WAY better than the now underdog, "Who Dey?"

    ReplyDelete