Monday, June 26, 2006

wanna start an argument?

If you like to argue - just say these things:

Obviously the apple computer is inferior because....

I get all my info from NPR/Fox News/The NY Times/Move on/talk radio and it's pretty obvious that...

The Bengals are pretty good, I think they'd be top 10 in the pre-season college AP Poll

My Scientology partner has been helping me to read my aura, and what we've discovered is...

You really shouldn't discipline your child that way

So, are you taking the summer off from working on your yard?

So how long til the baby is due?

Leno or Letterman?

Pete Rose shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame

Do you really think you should date him?

3 comments:

  1. or...greatest restaurant - Chipolte

    or...anything to do with Bob Saget at this point

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:32 PM

    Murph, seems like you've been in the mood to quietly, unobtrusively pick fights! I like it! Brings the blog some Fight Club flava!
    Who wants some? We can sit back and deconstruct the nature of conflict and aggression from the safety of "I'm just an interested observer studying human nature" but it takes a little something else to light the spark.

    I enjoy the humanity of Christ in the temple. People get angry. Sometimes they get so angry, they wreck the place, turning over tables as they go. I aint saying right or wrong, I'm just saying true.

    Sometimes I get tired of Jesus and Superman because they can be crummy models of anger and suffering. "Kingdom Come", the passion, the temptation, and the crucifiction notwithstanding. Even Superman I makes Super-suffering look too easy, because he knows just exactly what to do: fly so fast the world reverses on its axis, time goes back, problem solved. Superman II, just get in the fancy chamber, dim the lights, and presto! you're a human and can have a girlfriend. . .

    Buddha at least concretely acknowledges the primacy of anguish in daily human experience. Jesus and Superman give you a couple of allegories that sorta give you the impression that maybe anger and suffering are okay in extreme situations. . .I just think they're a little harder to relate to on that front.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:37 PM

    Oh, but on the other hand, Jesus (not so much Superman) does do a marvelous job of releasing suffering to God, knowing that in the end, it's for His will. And the passion and crucifiction are pretty incredible pieces of suffering. And Superman does do a marvelous job of being bullet-proof and throwing airplanes around. Which is sweet.

    ReplyDelete