Wednesday, December 20, 2006

it begins today...


To me, Rocky was the best of the series. It won the Best Picture Academy Award of 1976 and was just a great movie.

I thought Rocky II had the best fight. It was a better fight than Rocky or any of the others, but most of the movie was kind of boring.

Rocky III was the most entertaining. It had two fights and a wrestling match. It had T. It had Terry "Hulk" Hogan playing "Thunderlips" probably the worst wrestling name of all time. It was worth the seventeen dollars I paid for popcorn.

Rocky IV was kind of a mix. Some have argued that it had the best training sequence. I'm not sure I agree. I kind of liked Rocky three's training...and of course the original one with the beef punching, egg swallowing and kids chasing was pretty awesome.

Rocky V was vile. It hurts me to even mention it on the same page with these other greats. It was one of the Baldwin brothers in a sea of Wilson brothers. It was like watching the new Duke boys after watching the original Bo and Luke for years. It was like watching anything Whoopi Goldberg has ever done. If that movie was food, it'd be cold green bean casserole with congealed bacon fat on top. You get the point...

Today redemption has a chance to play it's sweet sweet clarinet.

Rocky VI is before us. You can call it Rocky Balboa if you want...but we know it's Rocky VI. We owe it to the film watching community to sit down and watch this end to a classic, yet fallen work of art.

It begins today...

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:44 AM

    I concur with your view of part V. I would even say it is an abomination. There was a "Rocky" week this summer here in Philadelphia featuring an outdoor showing of Rocky I on the steps of the Art Museum.

    My hopes are not very high for SIX. Adrian is nowhere to be found. How can you have Rocky without Adrian? Stallone is 60 or older now. The premise is thin.

    I'm more likely to go to Pat's for a cheesesteak where there is a plaque that commemorates Rocky I's immortal food purchase right on the sidewalk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one has to be all about the story. The fighting can't be good - it just can't. It HAS to be about determination and redemption and never giving up and second chances and, well, you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The top 5 reasons why Whoopi Goldberg sucks:

    5) "Jumpin’ Jack Flash"
    4) "Burglar"
    3) "Sister Act 2"
    2) "Eddie"
    1) Everything she's ever done

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:23 AM

    I agree, Rocky without ADRIAAAAAAAAN...not sure about that. I am getting psyched...and Rocky I and IV are my faves, III sucks--mr. t and hulk hogan? Please--I can't get into that. But to me, Rocky is like pizza--even when it's bad...it's good!

    p.s. Whoopi G. was in Ghost so not everything she did is horrible...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clubber, what's your prediction for the fight?

    PAIN...

    Seriously, Six has to be better than five. There's no doubt because nothing could be worse, sans whoopi moovies, than five. At worst, it can tie five, but even that is stretching it.

    And I seen a lot of changin around this place. at first yous hated me and i hated yous. but i started to likes yous and yous started to like me... and so, if i's can shange, and yous can shange... we's all can shange!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is a quote!

    What brought down the Soviet Union? Reagan? Please. Gorbachev? Yeah, right.

    It was Rocky. It's always been Rocky.

    We's all can shange, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you're going to have to take back the whoopi goldberg comments. corinna, corinna happens to be one of my favorite movies ever. and the color purple is also praiseworthy. so there. :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:46 PM

    Rocky V was so bad that they had to change the naming pattern for this one so that they could avoid acknowledging that V was part of the series.

    By calling this Rocky Balboa, Sly is completely disowning V. As he should.

    ReplyDelete