Wednesday, October 04, 2006

That's not my job


The bigger the organization, the more prevalent this attitude.

Hey, why is this place such a mess?
Because it's not my job to clean it up.
But if you just threw those two things in the trash and wiped down the counter, it wouldn't look so bad.
But that's not my job.
Don't you at least want this place to look ok?
It's not my job to make this place look ok!

nice

This is one way you can determine whether or not you're living out something that feeds into you, or just collecting a paycheck. Just see how often you think or say, "that's not my job".

When you say that, you're saying that you don't care what happens to this place...you're just doing the few things that you HAVE to do. You're not really concerned with how well things are going in the big picture, you just want to get your stuff done and leave.

Things would change radically if this wasn't a part of our every day existence. We wouldn't have trash all over the place, customer service would shoot through the roof, people would look to help out others in every situation, and Bragg would come over and fix my roof....even though it's not his job.

makes sense to me...

2 comments:

  1. Bragg is still catching up on other projects currently. However, if you would please take a number and wait patiently, your need will be addressed in the order in which it was received.

    Wait, no one told me you had a leaky roof thing. And I've only heard via third party that there's an issue with the shower.

    Or maybe, no one wants to do the job because they don't even know what their job description is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a job for you.

    On a completely different note...my email is acting up right now, but I'm still in for Thursday night. Either time works for me. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete