Thursday, October 12, 2006

bummer, huh?


I keep getting these e-mails from "PayPal" telling me that the $699 charge is about to go through on my account. Near the bottom of the e-mail is a big, bold CANCEL THIS TRANSACTION. In theory I'm supposed to click on that link, log into my account and cancel the transaction that I never initiated in the first place.

That's where they get you. You log on and the bad people have your log in information...and get access to your credit card. That's bad.

Here's what I don't understand. I forward the e-mail to PayPal and they should be able to set up a dummy account, trap the bad people, and then lock them up in some rat infested, no cable tv, pink bars and jump suits kind of jail.

It seems like an easy scam to catch people on. So why would they do this?

also....anybody else sadly disappointed in 30 Rock last night? I've come to the conclusion that Tina Fey is a much better writer than performer. The problem is, everybody wants to be up front, on stage, in the limelight...and not many people want to use their gifts behind the scenes.

I don't know how many people I've heard talk about how they're a gifted speaker, but I've heard that more than I've heard gifted speakers. The problem is that no matter how bad you do, three people will come up to you and tell you how good you were. I think a good indicator ought to be how often do you actually get asked to speak or perform at organizations outside of your own.....

The point is, I'm sure that Tina wrote all those funny commercials for 30 Rock - she should probably just put someone else in as the lead character.

what do I know?

9 comments:

  1. missed 30 rock but i am SO into studio 60. have you watched it yet? it is very smart. and funny. i LOVE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first indication that the paypal thing was a scam is that I don't have a paypal account.

    I'm smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've really liked studio 60...and you'd know that if you read my blog from Tuesday. Sometimes it's like you're not even trying Carissa...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so sorry murph. please forgive me. i was in florida. soaking up the sun with tami, pat & thomas. which you would know if you checked my blog site today. seriously murph...this hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well if you people had all come over to my house while I was gone and read my journal under my bed you would know that I don't like shows with numbers in them.... except for Adam 12.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best show on TV is a number...24.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dave - you really have to try studio 60 - it is GREAT! i promise...and have i ever lied to you? (not that either of us would remember at this point but i really don't think i have.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:50 PM

    If you guys were all reading this comment, you'd know that it's not worth reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:18 PM

    You are a gifted speaker and that is a totally unbiased opinion.

    ReplyDelete