Tuesday, October 03, 2006

goals


There's something sort of exciting about writing out some goals. It almost feels like you're actually working. There's the excitement that comes with the hope of something accomplished in the future. You can almost picture how that little segment of your life will be different as a result of accomplishing the goal.

It's fun to set goals. It's exciting.

Gary Gulman talks about how much he hates the alarm clock in his act. "Anything that makes you cuss as soon as you wake up can't be a good thing" He goes on to talk about how he'll set his alarm for 5 AM so he can get up, go on a run, have a big breakfast, get the band back together, do his taxes.... and then hits snooze 27 times.

That's how goals are. They're exciting, hopefull, and incredibly difficult.

If you aim at nothing, you'll surely hit it. It's been said so many times I feel like a cheeseball even repeating it...but it's pretty close to being right on. Occasionally we drift into something that seems like progress. Woody Allen says 90% of anything is just showing up...there's some truth to that. Ultimately though...to really grow in a way that gets us fired up - means we've got to set some goals, we've got to start working towards them, and we've got to pick ourselves back up when we fail the first couple of times.

It takes 21 days to make a habit and 3 to break it. If you believe that study, then it's seven times harder to start a good habit than it is to just sort of fall back into living life on auto pilot.

Today I'd like to turn off the auto pilot. I think it's time to start stretching and see where that takes me.

8 comments:

  1. Some goals are disrupted by uncooperative ouside influences...like my attempting to re-claim my royal title of Ping Pong Peggy...

    or

    trying to have a 45 minute lunch with my nephew

    Good luck with YOUR goals

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am afraid to set goals. They scare me. No, I'm not joking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, kind of weird timing, eh Grizz?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:41 PM

    Yeah, weird. Murph, wondered if this was a reaction to some of Steve's recent blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. nope - I just tend to type the first thing that pops into my head...and for some reason that popped into my head around 6:45 when I sat down at the laptop

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew it! I knew you were in cahoots with Pawn Cycle Smurfy!

    but yeah, that freaks me out more. I actually wrote mine before I read his. scary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and why does word verification always have to be 34 letters long? to top it off, why does it have to always be overlapped, twisted in some way which guarantees I will misspell it, and slanted so you have to rotate your monitor 78 degrees to the left on the horizontal plane?

    Can't it be a picture of a word everyone knows, like 'bees'? That's much easier to spell and it can stay a picture so machines can't read it.

    I'm all about spam protection. Fuller evidently has the clap because he doesn't use protection, but sometimes a line has to be drawn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 814-381-9874 is the new number, Murph... and everyone else who reads this comment page.

    ReplyDelete