Tuesday, October 24, 2006

it's a new day


I was asked what my all time favorite sitcom was last night. The first show that popped to mind was Ed - and then I was told that Ed wasn't a sit com.

My first thought was that it was clearly a comedy. I'm guessing that most people wouldn't list it as a situation comedy because it was an hour long. Thirty minutes equals sitcom, 60 equals a drama. A rules a rule.

There were plenty of episodes that were pretty romantic and/or full of drama. I'm just not sure that that makes it a dramedy.

MASH was on the 100 greatest shows of all time and listed as a sitcom. It was as hard hitting as any show and touched on social and political topics much like All in the Family (another of the 100 greatest shows and comedies of all time)

On Friends there were certainly a bunch of episodes that dealt with romance and drama.

Seinfeld was just pure comedy...and genius.

Eventually I just said The Office because it'd be hard to argue against what might possibly be the greatest comedy of all time.

Here's the thing - it's now my second favorite show on tv.

I loves me some Studio 60. It's just a great show. They push their political views through subtle and not so subtle jabs. They're a bit obvious on some points. There's certainly the typical formulaic pace of the show and you know the guy that loves/hates the girl is going to almost get back together with her on the last episode....but it's still the best show I watch each week.

I know, I know...I've only watched one episode of 24. I had a bunch of people tell me that I wouldn't get it - and I was shocked that there was a blonde main guy that was chased by bad guys with guns....and somehow I was able to figure out that the guys wearing dark clothes who were always giving sinister looks were the bad guys. Anyhow, if you like helicopters and car chases...it's probably a great show.

I've never watched Lost. I had two free nights a week when that show started...and no tivo. I haven't rented the first season, nor do I have any great desire to do so. There's plenty out there to keep me entertained.

16 comments:

  1. Ed was fantastic.

    Lost is terrible.

    Who wants to be a Superhero is out of this world.

    Aaaron Sorkin is a great writer.

    Tivo/DVR has changed television for the infinite better.

    The Office has changed television for the infinite better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother-in-law had tivo a while ago and would say things about how he could never watch live tv again and we need to get it. He is right, tivo makes the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grey's Anatomy, Murph. It'll make you go soft and you won't even notice or care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. seriously sean..everyone i know is incredibly sick of me talking about how much i love studio 60. it is the best thing to be on television in years. it is smart and funny and quick. I LOVE IT. and i am not a tv junkie. it is just a really good television show! 'with ya' is all i'm saying on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wish i had tivo...anyone want to donate to the "pay for liz's tivo subscription fund?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll kick in three bucks...

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you lived halfway close to the'nati, you could just bum off someone else's tivo/dvr.

    but yeah, i guess i'm good for like, a dollar. you'll have to work to get more than that out of me though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes! thanks for the generosity:) not sure what i can get with $4 bucks though...
    and i really don't get the fascination with Lost, but maybe that is because I never saw the first season so I always feel kind of well...lost...

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love lost. it's pretty much the only show i bother to record (it's the only show that makes me sad if i miss it), other than this one episode of snl that was so good i decided part-way into it that i needed to capture it so i could watch again. and this one episode of csi, because john mayer was supposed to be on. he wasn't, because i had the wrong week. but that's ok. i digress... the point is, lost is a wonderful show. i don't know why it doesn't win more awards...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:53 PM

    Television, Murph. It'll make you go soft and you won't even notice or care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sean,
    a) YOU said Ed wasn't a sitcom
    b) lost isn't awesome anymore. i used to almost pee when i watched it and now im just confused and frustrated and lost
    c) Grey's is the bomb dig

    liz,
    move in with me. i have tivo. done and done.

    katy,
    move in too...even though you have a mortgage

    dan,
    can we talk?

    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Liz..I'm in for $2.22 (one time..NOT per month)

    Sean..WHY did you NOT mention DWS...
    Dancing with the Stars??
    That one show is the entire reason to get TivA..
    Well, that and ~ The Bachelor Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Studio 60. Of course, I still have not watched this weeks yet. I'll catch it in 47 minutes tonight, before bed.

    How did I ever live before the DVR? I love living in a part of town that is serviced by 2 cable companies.

    "sure I'll stay with your company, if you throw in a DVR... thank you very much."

    ReplyDelete
  14. PW
    the bachelor paris is the worst show in the history of worst shows. that and that one show annie likes with the weird dancing guys at the end...what was that again?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Office YES
    LOST YES

    You have no idea what intellectual joys you are missing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete