Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Taking it for granted


Sometimes I forget how great I have it. I get frustrated by silly things at work and forget how much I missed this church when I was away from it for awhile. I forget that they feed over 1,000 families a month, help prisoners coming home, help build wheel chair ramps, fix houses, sent a ton of people, supplies and money to New Orleans for hurricane relief, counsel folks thinking of getting married or thinking of getting a divorce.

We get folks who have been abused coming to us for help...and we're set up to help them. We give tens of thousands of dollars of stuff away to people around the city because we're sick of saying, "it's better to give than to receive" followed by nothing...

A Vineyard pastor stopped on the highway to help someone who was stranded. He ended up going to the gas station to see if he could borrow a gas can. They told him he'd have to buy it, and when he pulled out his wallet they saw his Vineyard card. "I knew you went to the Vineyard, they're always helping people out around here"

I get to work for that place.

Over 1,000 people have applied for jobs there just since I've started a little over a year ago. I've met over a dozen people that applied for my job. How silly is it for me to forget how great I've got it?

That's what I do...I forget. I focus on the stupid stuff. I get wrapped up in the tediousness of the everyday grind.

I forget.

I'll try and not do that today...

4 comments:

  1. Murph,

    Great post.

    You're right, you work for a GREAT church. The mission of the place that you work is more powerful, effective, and tangibly good than the mission of where I work, and than where most people work. That is awesome.

    However, as the perennial voice of the devil himself, I would challenge you not to confuse the success of your employer as a church with the success of your employer as an employer. You may have a FANTASTIC church...and, for all I know, you have a FANTASTIC employer...but the things you've been openly sharing in your blog lately suggest to me that there are some serious improvements which need to be made in your work life for you to be a long-term success at VCC...both for your health, and for the church's.

    You work for a great church. I used to work for a great church. I didn't work for a great employer...and, when I had to choose between family and work, that's what really mattered.

    Peace,
    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  2. we've done outreaches in clifton where we've received the response, 'are you from the vineyard? they're always doing stuff to help people...' and i know of similar stories from other vineyard church plants in the area. i definitely appreciate how the vineyard's well-earned reputation for service has opened doors city-wide for more service by ministries in neighborhoods all over town.

    not to mention that i love being able to visit 'home' from time to time... :)

    all that's to say, go team!

    ReplyDelete