Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The comparison game


Aren't comparisons grand?

I love it when I hear that someone was arrested for something like shop lifting and they yell out, "you're going to arrest me for stealing a shirt while there are rapists and murderers out there?!". You hear people grumble the same thing when they're pulled over for speeding. Can you imagine the cop saying, "you're right, go ahead and take the sweater...keep on driving 80 in a school zone...I'm going to go capture me some murderers!"?

You hear it all the time. People get in trouble for something and they'll say, "but what about the person who did this awful thing....that's so much worse". Yes it is...so you've both done something wrong.

In sports they'll complain when caught doing something bad about someone else who got away with doing the same thing. They don't claim to be innocent, they're just mad that someone else was allowed to be bad.

We compare everything good and bad. We love it. It gives us a point of reference. It allows us to figure out how we're doing...in comparison.

We compare everything good and bad. We hate it. It forces us to live up to other's expectations based on unrealistic standards set in a different era with slightly different circumstances.

There's just no winning for losing...

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:03 AM

    Whoa, where did THAT come from? Did someone get out of bed on the wrong side?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh?
    Maybe I wrote this in a way that makes you think I'm mad about something. I really am not.

    I just always think it's interesting when people say, "there are people starving in the world and you won't finish your oatmeal" - when their situation is totally differentt and it can can sometimes be a silly comparison.

    It's just as silly when someone says, "there are people injecting crack into orphans ears while shooting old ladies and you're here arresting me for cheating on my taxes?"

    I think comparisons can also be good...and often are just silly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So your saying that I shouldn't feel inadiquate because your church is bigger than mine, you have more kids than me, less eyebrow hair, & more fooseball tables?

    That just doesn't feel right...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:37 AM

    Those are some nice fish Murph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My blog is so much better than your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drew,
    I'm down to one fooseball table...and it's on it's last legs

    Steve,
    you have a blog?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried for years and still don't understand the winning for losing comment not can I use it properly in a sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the Land of Comparisons and I am your queen :)

    ReplyDelete