Tuesday, June 27, 2006

workin'


I've been talking jobs with some friends lately. There is a job opening in another city that people have been asking me about for the past couple of months. One of my good friends is leaving a city and state that he's lived in for years to accept a new position. Another friend of mine isn't that excited about his job and would love to find something new. I have a friend that's been offered a job that would be a slight raise - but he'd have to leave the job he's had for over a decade. He also knows that if he sticks with his current job, he'll probably end up with a raise that's bigger than the one he'd get with this new company.

So what to do?

We were talking and I started wondering what I'd do.
Leave something that's known for the unknown? Would I risk all of the comfort of working with folks that I know and who know me....or play it safe? I think I know the answer...about 10 months ago I left a company that I'd been with (as a volunteer or on staff) for 17 years. The problem is, knowing what I know now - I'm not sure that I can give great advice.

It's hard working with folks that you have to prove yourself to all over again. It's hard when you're in the top 10% of a company in regards to seniority and then you go back to being a rookie. It's difficult going through all of the subtle auditions of proving yourself. It's also exciting to have a new direction. It's exhilarating to work on new solutions and to be the person with the fresh perspective.

So I'm not sure if I'd risk it if I were him. My situation was completely different that his. People really do stick around for life at his last company. People didn't do that with mine. I guess a good question is - does he want to stick around his company for life?

That's generally a decent question to ask - Is this something I want to do for the rest of my life?

I don't think he could answer yes to that - so his next question has to be - Is this new job something I want to do for the rest of my life?
or
Why does Chris Henry continue to get arrested, day after day after day...

No comments:

Post a Comment