Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Climbing up the Walls-mart


Just called my 7th Walmart.

First call:

me: Hi, I need an Igloo MaxCold Roller 60 plus quart cooler with telescoping handle please

guy that's not my best friend: Um....ok, I have a MaxCold Roller 60 quart cooler...but it's handle isn't telescoping, but you don't want that.

me: I don't?

guy that's not feelin' me: No, it won't do you any good. It'll end up spilling everything.

me: I think I want it.

guy that hates me: no you don't

me: I'm looking at one right now. We've used them for years...they stack better with the retractable handle.

guy that didn't major in interpersonal communications: no they don't

me: click

I called 4 Walmarts that put me on hold for 5 minutes and then disconnected.

I called two Walmarts where the person answering their phone asked me what department the coolers were in. They asked me.
I work at a church.
They work at a Walmart.
My job is to buy coolers - their job is to provide information to people buying coolers.

them: I'll connect you to women's clothing

me: Um....do you have a seasonal department or maybe you could try sporting goods???

them: oh yeah, I think we have a seasonal department (I'm not kidding....she actually said that)

I'm all for big super-mega-marts. I love them because I love to buy stuff that's cheap and all under one roof...but, come on....seriously?

9 comments:

  1. Wal-mart is the devil.

    Don't believe me? Go to this link: http://www.walmartmovie.com/confessions/

    I watched the whole movie once, and it's crazy what Wal-Mart does to people. I'm not a big "activist," but Wal-Mart will never see another penny of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Meijers..they can name that product in 5 calls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll see Steve's link and raise him one. These might help explain the poor customer service you received.
    http://www.ips-dc.org/projects/global_econ/walmart_pay_gap.htm

    http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/lowwage/walmart.pdf

    Having posted that I will admit that Wolfenberger's have not always had the resolve to resist the attraction of $4.00 shelving, especially after the competition has been eliminated. On the bottom of one piece of shelving I found a little sticker that read "This product subsidized by the blood of the poor and the tax-payers of America" On another it said "What Wouldn't Jesus Do? Buy this."

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. don't shop your conspiracy theories over here Mr. Steve-I still don't think we landed on the moon and Jim Morrison is alive and living in Toledo Fuller
    and David I love air brushed t-shirts that read "I let the dogs out" and am still mad at walmart for not using my line of days of the week diapers -Wolfenberger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:38 PM

    i'm not going to any of those links because i want my ignorance to remain blissful. and, i live within 120 miles of walmart's home office so i don't want them to see that i went to the links and then send someone "after" me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i almost wrote a whole post a few weeks back on why i don't like being judged over my shopping choices, but decided against it. it wouldn't be worth it to get into some sort of petty argument about it. the truth is that i just like that i've been getting extra cheap gas since the new walmart opened in my neighborhood... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That diaper idea was gold I tell ya! Gold!. Let's face it, who has time these days to use the restroom?
    Diapers. They're not just for the incontinent anymore.
    What? Disgusting you say? Well at least I'm not sharing a bare toilet seat with all my co-workers. As a matter of fact I'm not even sharing a table with them at lunch thanks to the displeasing aroma. Suddenly, my time is my own.
    No more, "yeah. I'm going to need you go go ahead and come on in this weekend" or "you know dave, at the end of the day we're going to need you to have to be a little more proactive at the end of the day".
    Yes indeed it's smooth sailing... or squishing.
    It's a win win... at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. dude,
    where did you get a picture of bill cower working at walmart! sweet!

    ReplyDelete