Wednesday, June 07, 2006

major in the minors

I have a friend that lived with an English major and they had an interesting conversation once.
"blah, blah, blah....you act like you think you're smarter than me"
"that's because I do"
"oh"

It was interesting because the first gal had a higher GPA and was soon to get the one scholarship her Grad school was offering for her program. I started thinking about why the second girl thought she was smarter and what it came down to was that she was an English major.

She was constantly reading because she loved to read...which is part of the reason she was an English major. She was always correcting people's grammar...because that's how you make friends.

I started thinking about it and realized that a lot of English majors tend to lean toward the "I'm smarter than you because of how I speak" kind of thing. Engineers tend to do the same thing...but you can just beat them up and take their lunch money.

So her focus was on grammar....and because that's how we communicate, she assumed she was smarter than everyone else because of her talking gooder.

She couldn't add three numbers together without a calculator. She couldn't speak in front of a group in a way that was the least bit engaging. She couldn't run a mile in under 20 minutes. She couldn't do a lot of things....but because she read a lot, she was smarter.

I think it comes down to what our priorities are. Some people think it's pretty important to balance a checkbook, pay their bills, and put budgets together. They make that a priority and think people who don't are stupid or irresponsible. I know people that can take a car apart and put it together who look at me like I'm an idiot when I ask, "so where do you put the gas?"

So maybe it comes down to focus. Am I focusing on the things people can't do as well me, or on their gift sets? If they can't hit an outside jumper like I can, should I assume that I'm better than them? or smarter somehow?

I guess I need to do the whole "....whatever is pure, right, love...excellent or praiseworthy... focus on those things..."

1 comment:

  1. I know how to fly an airplane. Oh, and I minored in English. I guess that makes me only half an ass....er smart.

    ReplyDelete