Wednesday, August 08, 2007

thoughts from someone who has no idea


I don't really know a whole lot about music. I know what I like. I know that the sweet sweet sounds of Ms. Paula Abdul are the last things Dan Kalbach listens to before he goes to bed.

I know that once a band gets to a certain level of popularity, their followers divide into two camps:
The incessantly telling you- "I knew them before they were popular" camp
and the - "They sold out" camp

I know it's not popular to like popular bands or artists.

That's another thing - I don't really look at them as artists. I'm sorry, but I don't.

I have a limited view of art. To me it involves paint, clay, maybe some metal...and the occasional random object.

I view the singers and bands as musicians. Doesn't really matter though...that's just how I look at it.

so here, in my not so humble opinion, is what I view as the different levels of:
church song leaders
worship leaders
the person who stands up and sings into the mic while everyone in church follows

0- Not everyone can play an instrument (let's just use the guitar as an example)
1- A bunch of people can play a guitar
2- A pretty big number of people can play well
3- A slightly smaller group of people can play while singing
7- An even smaller number of people can play well while singing well
8- A really small number of people can play well, sing well, and also sing in a key that's very easy for the crowd to follow
10- Only a very small minority of the leaders can play well, sing well, sing in a key that's easy to follow - and also....LEAD the song.

I think it's somewhat of a lost art. We'll pick the person who can sing really well, over the person who can lead really well, every single day.

So if you go to a church that has someone who can do all of those things - well enjoy, because it's a rare thing indeed.

I'm not sure why, but it seems like I should always follow the words "it's a rare thing" with "indeed" They just kind of go together.

but what do I know?

4 comments:

  1. there's nothing worse than going to church and watching a room full of people listen to a good singer who thinks he/she is leading...

    by definition to be a leader you must have followers, if no one is following a singer, then that individual is now a performer. There's nothing wrong with performing, I wish I was good enough to at times, but let's call it what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two words:

    Greg Ferguson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Leading' worship is an interesting concept. Even in performance-type settings, I have had people swear that they were moved deeply. At the same time, I've had very real, spiritual heart-wrenching moments with God to the sound of trashcans being pounded. Maybe the Spirit is best at leading us toward a heart of worship, and the guy, girl, or group up front is just a detail.

    ReplyDelete