Wednesday, August 01, 2007

I could use a little help


O.K., a lot of help.

We're having one of the all time great families come and visit this weekend. Sadly, I just found out their eldest won't be visiting...something about hating us.

This throws a wrench in my Levi and Stacy Vs. Griff and Me frisbee golf match up. I was picturing us winning by 4 or 5, even though Levi is twice as big as Griff and Stacy played college ball. My thinking was that Griff is deceptively good with a disc, and baseball mechanics are drastically different than throwing a frisbee. I guess we'll never know...

So what I'm looking for is this - I need some ideas for how to show a family of five...or I guess four....a great time in Cincinnati. The Redlegs are out of town....and awful. The Dayton Dragons game has no available tickets for 9 seats in a row.

so we have four adults and five children...and I'm not taking them to the zoo.

So....where do you think we ought to take them?

7 comments:

  1. back when i lived in covington, i would often pass time:

    - florence mall
    - gap outlet
    - dayton air force museum
    - girlfriend's house (that would be out since she lives with me now)
    - and more recently, i understand there is a "creation" museum?

    ...uh...darn... i am a nerd.

    by the way, best view of the city is from the TGIFridays in Covington...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay the air museum is a free option. It will take an hour to get there but it is pretty cool.

    The Art Museum is also free.

    And for river level views of the city I would actually recommend The Point in Covington. It's on the other side of the suspension bridge at the bottom of Gerrard St. (Take the Fifth Street exit off 75 and then a left when it dead ends into Gerrard.)

    Other fun parks in Cincinnati are Alms Park and Ault Park.

    After 4pm (I believe) on Fridays the museum center at Union Terminal is also free. Omnimax is not, but it's also there and they have a matinée price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Newport Aquarium = air conditioned awesomeness!

    Crone's Conservatory is sweet, but I don't know if kids would like it.

    BassPro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:08 AM

    How old are the kids?
    Charles Edward Cheesehead is always good and expensive..whopps...I guess you don't want that...

    Swimming at the Y...

    Liberty Park (you know, the local playground that looks like a fort)keeps all kids entertained while adults can sit at the picnic tables and chat (while munching on good ole KFC). With 93 degree weather, doesn't EVERYONE want to be outside?

    Aunt Peggy's basement is always available...

    ooooh..should I have mentioned that one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. graeters - and eat it at ault park. oh the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GoettaFest is this weekend in Newport. It advertises itself as a "Total Celebration of all things Goetta." That's quite a tagline. Oh, and they've got kids rides and music. And you could enjoy the river. And, from the perspective of this non-Cincinnatian, few things say Cincinnati like Goetta (for better or for worse). And if that's not enough, the Brass Ass is right there.

    ReplyDelete