Tuesday, August 28, 2007

slippery slope


I just have to think the first time Michael Vick saw two dogs fight, he had to be a little horrified. Maybe he ended up getting caught up in the gambling, or the crowd, maybe he just went back because all of his friends were into it.

Eventually he became a fan.

So I wonder what the things are that I at one time found offensive, but now am ok with. I know they show stuff on tv now that they wouldn't have shown 10 years ago. Words that you didn't hear on tv, you were a little bit shocked to hear in conversation.

There was a time when it was a big scandal to show Mr. and Mrs. Brady on tv in the same bed. I watched a show last night where the star of the show was sleeping with the guy she had met that night, and there wasn't any discussion about that...it was all about what she was going to wear on their next date. It's not even a mentionable plot point that she'd slept with a guy that she didn't know at all.

The things that were shocking are no longer shocking. Las Vegas has a national campaign that says, "you can sleep with hookers and swim in coke and no one will ever know!" and it's just another commercial we see on tv.

So back to my original questions - what are the things that I wouldn't have even thought of doing ten years ago, that are now just part of my routine?

"No one drifts into holy living" I know it's not popular to talk about that. We'd rather talk about the pop cause of the day, or the freedom that goes along with living for yourself....

So I wonder what I'm drifting towards - and how to turn the ship around?

1 comment:

  1. When I was a teen and so on fire for the Lord, I didn't even leave my bed in the mornings before I had my "quiet time." Now today, I have read umteen emails and a few blogs and have not even considered opening my bible. This darn computer consumes me.

    How shameful.

    ReplyDelete