Wednesday, August 29, 2007

evolution?

There was a time when, if you worked with students – you probably looked something like this

Then we went through a long period where you had to show that you can relate to the youth (and if you call them “youth” you probably might not really relate to them) and there was a trend towards this kind of look

We went through a long period where the Van Dyke was popular (it’s somehow become known as a goatee…which we know is actually just a beard below your mouth)

or

I’ve noticed that now – if you work with students, you probably have this kind of thing going…

The soul patch is the current "must have" for youth directors. I’m not saying it’s bad. In fact, several of my good friends are sporting this look - I'm just mentioning it. Maybe they recommend it at the national youth workers convention? Doesn’t really matter. I’m just saying that I’ve noticed the trend.

I’ve also noticed that if you’re a Christian musician – you have to look angry, brooding or disinterested in your pictures. It means your more authentic and haven’t sold out to the cheesy Christian music establishment. Again, this isn't bad - I just think it's interesting. A trend. You know...just something to talk about.

4 comments:

  1. great post. :)

    though i think matty's almost smiling, in contrast with those other guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. guilty. but lately i've been striving toward the wilford brimley look. bleached walrus mustache. old man hair horseshoe on the head. insulin pump. coke bottle glasses. gives me instant cred with little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. murph you are funny. and smart. which makes you hilarious! i like you! and..i think the look when we were working with "youth" had something to do with hair bows. and then birkenstocks. : )

    ReplyDelete