Saturday, April 22, 2006

surface of the rock

I saw a great band this weekend.

Before you picture me wearing all black, jumping up and down with my hands spinning disconnected dayglo necklaces while passing a j to Dan - this was a daytime event. They played at the P & G Pavilion at Sawyer Park. Apparently corporate America has purchased and packaged them. That's not really my point, if they want to sell Dove and Diapers - more power to them.

The thing that threw me was they had a new guy playing with them. I really liked the way they sounded, but this guy was somewhat of a distraction for me. I couldn't help but picture the new guy spinning vinyl at some small town radio station during the Midnight to 3 AM shift. I picture him playing songs, howling into the microphone, perhaps banging a miniature gong and doing his best wolfman jack impersonation. I then picture him going to the local 24 hour Perkins to talk to his public.


What threw me was the way he non verbally interacted with the band. Dave made a "tongue in cheek" reference...and this guy stuck his tongue into his cheek. That's probably enough, but then he did one of my pet peeves....he looked all around at the rest of the band to make sure they all got to enjoy his physical humor. It was Drew Carey making a mediocre ad lib on Whose Line and then turning from the audience to look at the other actors...all the while laughing at himself...but still looking to his employees to make sure they enjoyed his humor as well.

So I used to follow this band in PA...I guess technically I still follow them - it's just that I suck at it now that they never play within 2 hours of me. The thing that used to throw me about that band was they had a guy who made sex faces when he played. He was really good (at the bass...not really sure about....) it's just that it was always like a little side show.

So I wonder if this is why some bands are more popular than others? I guess that's obvious...and why no talent hacks get away with overproduced, overrated garbage...but they have a look that sells. (remember Johnny Bravo from the Brady Bunch? was that his name?)

I just read that looks have never been more important than they are now in politics. It seems like a lot of the rising star speakers out there are a bit better looking than the last generation. So do you go with the great band that has the mustachioed steel guitar player - or the hip, young, good looking band with no talent, but the artists whose work they're lip synching has a good beat?

1 comment:

  1. I've heard Jerry is pretty distracting but I always have my back to him. Perhaps it would be better for all if we played behind them and they could look the other direction at some sort of choreographed dance or something. I'm on it. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete