Tuesday, April 11, 2006

the hood


Just spent the last half hour or so talking with my neighbor.

I've heard it said somewhere that we're supposed to love our neighbors.

The trouble with that is, it's hard to even meet your neighbors. People used to hang out on the front porch and have conversations. Then everybody started getting air conditioners. This is where the Amish have us beat - no a.c. = plenty of neighborly goodness.

We've met a few of our neighbors. Still haven't met Rich Franklin (our UFC Middleweight champion neighbor...oh yeah, he's my neighbor) or all of the folks across the street, but we're getting there.

Now I know that we're supposed to love our neighbors...and not just the folks that live next door, but everybody (even the annoying people) Somehow in the call to make everybody your neighbor, I think we've forgotten our literal neighbors. There are no welcome wagons. There are very few block parties. Not much in the way of neighborhood parties. We hang out with old friends, folks we work with, go to church with, steal hubcaps with...and that's about it.

I'm looking forward to more half hour conversations with the neighbors...and then heading over to Rich Franklin's house to t.p. his Hummer.

3 comments:

  1. You live next to Rich Franklin? Wow, that almost makes you famous! Can I come over sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soooo funny! Rich is a friend of mine! We used to teach together at Oak Hills until he started professionally rolling around on the floor in his underwear with men... Hm. That job is sounding more and more appealing to me. Hm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. rich franklin is okay, but my guess is that kent tekulve would kick his tail...

    ReplyDelete