Monday, April 03, 2006

sick


Being sick is for the birds (not a bird flu reference). When Annie or my kids are sick, it's all I can think about...when I'm sick, it's all I can think about. The problem is - I don't want to think about sickness. It's kind of a downer. I'd rather just think about good stuff.

The problem is, I'm sick. Not big sick...just coughing, sore throat, strep throat kind of sick. Thinking about good stuff isn't going to take the problem away. Fearing being labeled as someone who points out problems isn't going to take the problems away. (figure that sentence out)

Solutions don't mean anything to people who are ignorant to the problem. If I told you that I was going to be cut open, and have some stuff removed from my body - followed by radiation and chemo therapy "just because" - that wouldn't make any sense. That's masochistic. That's bad.

If I had cancer and did all that...well that would make a little more sense.

People don't want to hear words like that might imply that someone has made a mistake or s wrong because it's awfully negative.

"doctor, that's kind of a downer there...that whole, if you keep doing this - you'll die thing. Why are you being so judgmental/condemning/negative?"

"Sean, why are you telling me that you don't agree with what I'm doing? Why aren't you more on my side with these decisions?" I've was asked my opinion recently about an issue...and it almost doesn't matter what the issue is (moral, political, favorite Full House episode) and when I responded - I was met with "How can you say that?!?!" Huh? Didn't you ask my opinion? I can only assume that you knew there were at least two possible conclusions here....otherwise, why ask?

I believe there are some problems in this world....that's all. Planet Earth isn't Nirvana. (I think they stopped touring around '94)

so let's just keep whistling and hope that people just decide to go through painful, possibly life changing decisions "just because"

crossing my fingers,
me

No comments:

Post a Comment