Saturday, April 15, 2006

Mediocre Saturday

Donald as Christ figure?
Yesterday was Good Friday - tomorrow is Easter...and today is the day in between.

I used to wonder why Good Friday was so good. Sometimes I had the day off school, so that was good....but this is the day where we celebrate Jesus having nails driven through his wrists and ankles?

On Good Friday we remember the soldiers mocking him, spitting on him and then ripping ribbons of flesh off his body before they drove thorns into his head and then dislocated his bones by dropping his cross into a large hole?

Seriously?

That was when someone explained to me the last three words Jesus said on the cross....and I quote, "It is finished"

Interesting last words. It was actually a fairly common phrase. When someone paid off a debt, they stamped it "it is finished" meaning the debt was cancelled...paid in full.

That's when it all started making sense. I had an incredible debt that I couldn't possibly repay....God is just...the debt couldn't just be brushed off to the side....I was on death row...Jesus took my place.
He paid my debt.
Nice.

That's a pretty good day.
There's a story about a guy pulling behind a car that was stopped on the highway, getting out of his car and helping the guy get his car going. Turns out the guy with the bum car was Donald Trump. Donald did a little research, found out who owned the mortgage on this guys house...and paid it off.

That's a pretty good day. No more house payments. The debt has been paid in full. He was probably pretty excited about deciding to stop and help out.

That's why Good Friday needs to be renamed. I'm going to call it awesome Friday...or pandific Friday.
As cool as having my mortgage paid off would be, having all the crap that I've ever done, or will do paid for....that's a bit better. Especially when you consider that I didn't do anything to deserve having it paid off.
Trying to be a better person doesn't get it done. Giving lots of money and time to charitable organizations doesn't get it done. There's nothing I can do to repay him. It's just a completely free gift....there for the taking.

A bunch of years ago I took it...that was a pretty awesome day too.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Murph...you're fired!

    Hahahahahahaha!

    Wait, isn't that still cool and funny?

    It's not? Oh. This is awkward now.

    So awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never really thougth about it that way before either...what a great post! thanks!

    ReplyDelete