Monday, December 05, 2005

Triples??

Three guys in the history of the major leagues have hit 30 or more triples in one season. Over 100 players have hit 40 or more home runs in one season. Close to 100 have hit 50 doubles in one season. The triple really is the hardest of the four hits. People get excited when they can round the bases in one turn. They like a double because it's harder than just getting on base...but the triple is by far the hardest.
I think life can be like that. We get excited just getting up to bat...and getting into the game. Sometimes we strike out. We often get our bat on the ball...but don't quite get on base. It's great when we hit a double, but it makes us yearn for that homerun. But a triple? It's too hard. Too much energy without the same payoff as a homerun. Who wants to get on third?
I don't.
I want homeruns.
They're more exciting...people react to homeruns.
This weekend wasn't a homerun. It wasn't even a slap single. It was a clean strike out.
We put on this event kind of deal and had about 64 people show up. Out of thousands...we had 64. I started putting my list of excuses together. Bad weather. We had 400 people volunteer for other events this week (still....out of thousands), we didn't get much press...I suck.
When I start complaining about signage...that's when you'll know I'm out of relational ministry and in "getting people to show up" ministry.
I need to be better about giving our leaders ownership. I need to encourage them to be our signs and our announcements. I need to get our leaders to pull the string and to stop trying to push the string. I need to pull some string myself.
I need to get back to working the count, getting on base however I can...and then letting one of our rookies be a pinch runner.
I'm kind of slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment