Tuesday, December 20, 2005

tennis shoes and such

I'm wearing my tennis shoes today and I'm not even planning on playing tennis (shhh). I'll be on my feet for 5 hours at the mall wrapping presents. We do this to show folks God's love in a practical way. People expect door knocking evangelists with white shirts, ties and perhaps a bicycle helmet...but not free gift wrapping. People expect someone on the beach to share the 4 spiritual laws after gathering a group together to watch a silent football game (kind of an odd reference...but it happens) but they don't expect real life practical help with something as silly as a wrapped Christmas or Hanukkah gift. I wonder sometimes if it's all worth it.
-We're spending a silly amount of money to wrap gifts for people who largely think we're either mall employees performing a service for the mall, or folks looking for donations to raise funds for a new baptismal. I hear enough stories to make me feel, for a little while at least, like it's worth it. We have close to 400 people a week come in and wrap gifts...and occasionally I'll hear about someone's comment that this was "nice" or "a cool way to serve people". I just wonder if it's the most effective way to serve the community and show them God's love in a practical way. We have 400 people a week & we spend thousands and thousands of dollars...for the occasional comment.
-I guess God's love is extravagent...and sometimes doesn't make sense. On the surface it can even seem excessive...I guess even deep down it seems excessive.
That's God's love.
-Maybe not the best use of our time and resources...but it's something. It relieves people of a few minutes of work and a few dollars worth of wrapping paper. I guess it's a good start... it'd just be sad if that was it...
"the journey of a thousand miles starts with one wrapped toaster over"
-St. Murphy of Calhoun Hall

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:51 PM

    Yeah silent football...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:03 AM

    Seems to me that people expect the gift wrapping more than they would expect the four spiritual laws on the beach...

    That being said, I've always been a big fan of kindness evangelism and servant evangelism like steve sjogren championed.

    ReplyDelete