Tuesday, December 13, 2005

20 hours a week = 6 roses


I was in a seminar where we talked about volunteer recruiting, development and appreciation a few years ago. I'm about to go to another one. I want to get this on the record before the meeting so people won't think I'm just complaining about what was decided, discussed or denounced in the upcoming meeting. I have no idea how things will go... I just have a fear.
It's a well founded fear I think.
I've worked with high level volunteers for the past 17 years. We'd ask volunteers to give up 15-20 hours a week, attend 4 meetings a week their first year and 3 a week every year after that. We'd ask them to give up a week during the summer, 3-5 weekends a year, and tons of cash into their gas tanks and paying for various ministry related items.
Occasionally we'd throw them a t-shirt.
And I would never apologize. These folks were giving up their lives and that's kind of what we talk about when we say things like, "I gave my life to Christ" or "I want to live sacrificially" or "carry your cross". It seems extreme, but I know people who give their lives to TV, drugs, school, relationships, video games...things both good and bad....but, in relation to the God of the Universe...these things pale in comparison.
(and... I'm off my soap box)
So I was in this meeting where they talked about standards. It was mentioned that it wasn't necessary for their volunteers to be that involved...if they prayed for the kids...showed up to stuff when they could...tried to help out. That would be great. Many people agreed and we moved on to how to appreciate our leaders. Someone stood up and talked about how they give a rose to their leaders during one of their meetings. Someone else talked about more extravagent gifts. I saw people writing this all down.
I couldn't hold it any longer. I said that we give leaders opportunities to see changed lives. We allow leaders to have enough leadership to take people places. We challenge them to stretch themselves...and to live for God and others...even when it doesn't seem convenient. We set up our leaders to succeed...and that beats the crap out of getting a freaking rose.
Ultimately, do you want to remember getting a rose....or having someone thank you for being a part of shaping their life?
I'm just scared that I'm about to go to another meeting where we talk about roses...

No comments:

Post a Comment